Visual Complex Analysis

Andrius Kulikauskas

Jun 19, 2016, 11:44:41 AM6/19/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bradford, Steven and all,

I'm preparing a talk for tomorrow on "ways of figuring things out in
Math". I did a survey of methods in Paul Zeitz's book, "The Art and
Craft of Problem Solving". The second edition is available online:
https://kheavan.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/paul-zeitz-author-the-art-and-craft-of-problem-solving-2edwiley20060471789011.pdf
Vankhea in Prey Vang province, Cambodia, has put it online. He has a
math blog in Khmer:
https://kheavan.wordpress.com

Paul Zeitz mentions enthusiastically the book "Visual Complex Analysis"
by Tristan Needham:
https://math.uc.edu/~herron/complex_analysis/Texts/VisualComplexAnalysis-Needham.pdf
University of Cincinnati professor David Herron has put it online.
https://math.uc.edu/~herron/complex_analysis/2015-FS-6005-info.html

Complex analysis is something I know little about. But as I wrote, I
suspect it is what circle folding is all about. Also, I imagine it is
very relevant for geometric thinking with Clifford algebras.

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
m...@ms.lt
+370 607 27 665

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Jun 19, 2016, 1:11:07 PM6/19/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Andrius, your suspicions are correct. Skimming through "Visual Complex Analysis" all the pictures can be demonstrated by folds in the circle, plus more that can not be represented in linear 2-D thinking. In a book about visual analysis it seems strange it is only about pictures, words and symbols that ultimately go back to circle unity. But then that should be of no surprise given the fragmented history of math and the tradition of cutting the unit circle into smaller unit pieces, giving them abstracted meaning in order to piece the circle back together.

 "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" seems to be limited to the math arena with the assumption that if you can problem solve in math you can do it in anywhere, since math is widely considered the universal tool for problem solving.

I think you will find this of interest given your comprehensive nature and the questions you ask.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wholemovement-Folding-the-Circle-for-Information/125203137500210
Brad

Bradford Hansen-Smith
www.wholemovement.com