Natural Math Multiplication: an open online course starting April 6 (360+ participants so far)

Maria Droujkova

Mar 30, 2014, 8:36:04 AM3/30/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, natur...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Please join us for the latest adventure, and help to spread the word!

Dr. Maria Droujkova and Yelena McManaman of Natural Math invite parents, teachers, and math circle leaders to join an open, crowd-funded online course about multiplication activities for kids ages 2-12. Each week there will be five activities to help your kids learn multiplication by exploring patterns and structure. To get your course completion badge, do at least two activities every week. The course starts April 6 and runs for four weeks.

Several hundred participants already signed up. We expect active and diverse discussions about adapting activities to different circumstances, situations, and types of learners.

Syllabus:

Week 1: Introduction. What is multiplication? Hidden dangers and precursors of math difficulties. From open play to patterns: make your own math. 60 ways to stay creative in math. Our mathematical worries and dreams.

Week 2: Inspired by calculus. Tree fractals. Substitution fractals. Multiplication towers. Doubling and halving games. Zoom and powers of the Universe.

Week 3: Inspired by algebra. Factorization diagrams. Mirror books and snowflakes. Combination and chimeras. Spirolaterals and Waldorf stars: drafting by the numbers. MathLexicon.

Week 4: Times tables. Coloring the monster table. Scavenger hunt: multiplication models and intrinsic facts. Cuisenaire, Montessori, and other arrays. The hidden and exotic patterns. Healthy memorizing.

A picture from Week 2, about fractals and exponents:

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova

Steve Thomas

Apr 3, 2014, 9:24:50 PM4/3/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com, mathf...@googlegroups.com
Maria,

Great picture.  Do you have the original Owl image you can send me.  I want to play with it and create a set of instructions kids can follow to build something similar in Etoys.   I tried copying the existing image, but the image file is not solid colors so the color fill bucket doesn't quite work.

I tried another picture, but I realized you need REALLY BIG eyes to make it work well.

Cheers,
Stephen

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it. This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript)

Steve Thomas

Apr 3, 2014, 9:55:12 PM4/3/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com, mathf...@googlegroups.com
Okay found an Owl check this out this video: http://youtu.be/pTPx0OXuC2M

My daughter helped do the last set of Owls.

Cheers,
Stephen

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Apr 3, 2014, 10:05:49 PM4/3/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
fantastic!

Sent from my iPad
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MathFuture" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture.