Researchers working with mathematics and culture and language

metaimagem

Dec 13, 2017, 3:54:38 PM12/13/17
to is...@nmsu.edu, mathf...@googlegroups.com, Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group (LINGANTH@listserv.linguistlist.org), Cogling L
Dear list members,

The government of Brazil has now open (12/12/2017) post-doctoral positions for Brazilians who want to conduct research abroad.

I am writing to you to ask for suggestions of people working with the intersection of language, mathematics and culture. I am very interested in work and collaborate with my research and I think it is a chance I have to ask for it.

   The palavra contada / counting words project is a endeavor I had the chance to start thanks to the Social Pull Request initiative, in order to make possible to understand how counting can be something that is both narrative and structure. In Portuguese the verb contar (to count) holds both words ( contar estorias /  to tell stories ) and numbers (contar de zero até 10 /  count from zero to ten ). Although it meaning is not totally covered in English, it maintains somehow the semantic link to the activity of creation.

I would like to know researchers who have common interests with these subjects.

best,
Rogerio Lourenço

--
► beauty follows dignity
https://metaimagem.wordpress.com

metaimagem

Dec 16, 2017, 2:19:43 PM12/16/17
to is...@nmsu.edu, mathf...@googlegroups.com, Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group (LINGANTH@listserv.linguistlist.org), Cogling L
Dear List members:

Thank you for the replies. I found what I was looking for.

For those with I had the opportunity to talk, I will let you know as it goes and hope to keep the dialogue with those I did not yet. The internet is a amazing place and a email can chance a person´s life.

Best,

Rogerio Lourenço.

John Bibby

Dec 16, 2017, 4:35:52 PM12/16/17
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, Rogério Lourenco
Dear Rogerio

If you are to do this, I feel you should explore many languages e.g.

English. Recount, account
German. Zaehlen, erzaehlen
Spanish. Contar, cantar, .... ?

Try also African and Indian languages, Chinese etc.

Maybe also story, history, histoire, Geschichte, etc.

It's important to find the images that people associate with these words and others too e.g. Multiply, subtract, graph, pattern.

Good luck!

JOHN BIBBY

* York Bus Forum: we meet 5.30-7 on the 3rd Tuesday of each month in West Offices: 19 December (Open Committee Meeting), 16 January 2018, 20 February, 20 March etc.: yorkbusforum.org/diary.html

Murray

Dec 17, 2017, 5:33:57 AM12/17/17
to MathFuture
Rogerio

Sounds like this is a bit late, but it may be beneficial to incorporate research findings from Singapore, which has one "symbolic" language (Malay) and four "official" languages, English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil. English is used for schooling and most commerce.

This researcher from the National Institute of Education is currently doing a research project on "Learning the Language of Mathematics: An Exploration of Children's Experiences of Learning English and Mathematics at School and Elsewhere in Multilingual, Postcolonial Singapore"

http://www.nie.edu.sg/profile/jones-sally-ann (click on the "Projects" drop-down)

Hope it's useful.

Regards
Murray

Andrius Kulikauskas

Dec 17, 2017, 5:34:12 AM12/17/17
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, metai...@gmail.com
Rogerio,  In Lithuanian we have similar words:

skaičiuoti - to count
skaityti - to read
skaidyti - to analyze, to divide up into parts

sudėti - to add  (to place together)
dėti - to place

atimti - to subtract (to take away)
imti - take

dauginti - to multiply (to make many)
daug - many

dalinti - to divide, to share
dalis - part

Andrius

2017.12.16 21:40, John Bibby rašė:
> Dear Rogerio
>
> If you are to do this, I feel you should explore many languages e.g.
>
> English. Recount, account
> German. Zaehlen, erzaehlen
> Spanish. Contar, cantar, .... ?
>
> Try also African and Indian languages, Chinese etc.
>
> Maybe also story, history, histoire, Geschichte, etc.
>
> It's important to find the images that people associate with these
> words and others too e.g. Multiply, subtract, graph, pattern.
>
> Good luck!
>
> JOHN BIBBY
>

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 at 20:54, metaimagem <metai...@gmail.com
> <mailto:metai...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Dear list members,
>
> The government of Brazil has now open (12/12/2017) post-doctoral
> positions for Brazilians who want to conduct research abroad.
>
> I am writing to you to ask for suggestions of people working with
> the intersection of language, mathematics and culture. I am very
> interested in work and collaborate with my research and I think it
> is a chance I have to ask for it.
>

>  The palavra contada
> <https://slides.com/rogeriolourenco/deck-1> / counting words
> <https://slides.com/rogeriolourenco/deck> project is a
> endeavor I had the chance to start thanks to the Social Pull
> Request <http://socialpullrequest.github.io/> initiative, in
> order to make possible to understand how /counting/ can be
> something that is both narrative
> <https://medium.com/@fjmubeen/how-not-to-memorise-mathematics-98fef71aefcf?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_profile_view_base_recent_activity_details_shares%3BWIFPfnjdQSeh9lAz5EttXA%3D%3D> and
> structure. In Portuguese the verb /contar/ (to count) holds
> both words ( contar estorias /  to tell stories ) and numbers
> (contar de zero até 10 / count from zero to ten ). Although it
> meaning is not totally covered in English, it maintains
> somehow the semantic link to the activity of creation.
>

> I would like to know researchers who have common interests with
> these subjects.
>

> best,
> Rogerio Lourenço
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rogerio_Lourenco
>
> --
>
> /► beauty follows dignity
> /https://metaimagem.wordpress.com
> <https://metaimagem.wordpress.com>
>
> --
>
> --
> ===== *Coming soon in York:*
> * *York Bus Forum: *we meet 5.30-7 on the 3rd Tuesday of each month in
> West Offices: 19 December (Open Committee Meeting), 16 January 2018,
> 20 February, 20 March etc.: /yorkbusforum.org/diary.html
> <http://yorkbusforum.org/diary.html> /

metaimagem

Dec 18, 2017, 6:40:21 AM12/18/17
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Murray,

Thanks for the reference. It is amazing to find similar projects around the world concerning mathematics from a language and culture perspective.

Thank you.

metaimagem

Dec 18, 2017, 12:00:46 PM12/18/17
to John Bibby, mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

your suggestion on languages is a trend! I had the initial idea for Portuguese, but with some answers here it is now clear that as many other concepts, we replicate the morphology of the words with similar cognitive workflow for different sets.

The challenge with no western languages is awesome and necessary as well.

Thank you

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture.
=====        Coming soon in York:
* York Bus Forum: we meet 5.30-7 on the 3rd Tuesday of each month in West Offices: 19 December (Open Committee Meeting), 16 January 2018, 20 February, 20 March etc.: yorkbusforum.org/diary.html

metaimagem

Dec 18, 2017, 12:00:46 PM12/18/17
to Andrius Kulikauskas, mathf...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Andrius,

Lithuanian has a interesting morphological and lexical granulation!  It goes beyond the general concept of narrative/ counting, it enters into the operations...I will check it out!

Thank you!

Rogerio

    Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture.

===== *Coming soon in York:*
* *York Bus Forum: *we meet 5.30-7 on the 3rd Tuesday of each month in West Offices: 19 December (Open Committee Meeting), 16 January 2018, 20 February, 20 March etc.: /yorkbusforum.org/diary.html <http://yorkbusforum.org/diary.html> /

► beauty follows dignity
https://metaimagem.wordpress.com

metaimagem

Dec 18, 2017, 12:10:05 PM12/18/17
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Murray,

thank you for your suggestion. It is really amazing how people around the world are reaching the same topics and how such a convergence is a growing reality.So hope some day we all can interact together over this subject to advance it.

By now, I am thankful for the welcome reception to my research.

Best,

Rogerio.