Can you solve this 1st grade workpage?

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Sep 27, 2014, 4:48:08 AM9/27/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

This is a page from a major UK commercial publishing company (Cambridge International Examinations in conjunction with Oxford University Press which is “above” or on par with e.g. MacMillan). This program was adapted in R. Macedonia this year. It is sold throughout the world.

Can you solve this?

And this is for FIRST GRADE (meaning they cannot read) and no there is nothing before this to explain anything (the pages before are for long/short, thick/thin, … counting dots to 10, zero, more/less dots to 10 and then identifying 2d geometric figures)

We still have not agreed on the answers.

Single hint below:

With warm regards, Linda

КЛИК Умна работилница

Вебсајт: http://emathforall.com/klikumnarabotilnica

Фејсбук: http://www.facebook.com/klikumnarabotilnica

Hint: On some of the pages, the first problem is the example problem.

image001.jpg

Christian Baune

Sep 27, 2014, 8:25:23 AM9/27/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

1) EDBCA
2) Numbered : 6,5,4,3,3,2,6,1

The "2)" is unsuited.because it can even be difficult for adults! Bugs 2 and 5 are too close.

John.Mason

Sep 27, 2014, 9:02:40 AM9/27/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
It looks as though the bicycles are crossing a finish line passing from left to right, so E is first, D second etc.

The ladybirds displayed at the top are to be used to colour in the ladybirds at the bottom according to the order at the top.

Have I missed something?

JohnM

Sep 27, 2014, 12:28:08 PM9/27/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Bicycles: Almost everyone agreed that the “direction” of the bikes determines the ordering (imaginary finish line) and agreed that E, D, B, C, A

Ladybugs:  Semi-spoilers (and still no consensus on the answer).

Notice in the directions: You are to color the 7th  orange and the “last” green. So you are apparently looking at eight different ladybugs. (Many adults do not seem to even notice the dots on the backs of the ladybugs.)

LFS

P.S. Once someone pointed out to me the thing with “7th and “last”  I decided to ignore the dots and went with “direction” of the ladybugs (which is the OPPOSITE of the example at the top) and from that determined that the one at the far right was “in front” and thus first,…

HOWEVER, others did NOT agree.

image001.jpg

Christian Baune

Sep 27, 2014, 2:51:23 PM9/27/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Linda,

actually you are right, dots should be ignored.
I think that the author was lazy and reused his assets.
To ensure that children wouldn't match the top ladybugs with the bottom ones, he did rotate them.

So LB 4 and 5 shouldn't be colored then.

Also, two answers should be accepted as you explained.

But there's another issue with that page.
"seventh" outgrow its cell. It looks like a bad edit.

Now, if they can't read, they would probably number the ladybugs like I did :-)

The advantage of this flawed page is that it can bring discussion in the classroom.
If they numbered them "correctly", either mom and dad helped or they are gifted.

Kind regards,
Christian