mathematics and discourse analysis

metaimagem

Jul 20, 2016, 1:48:30 PM7/20/16
to is...@nmsu.edu, mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hi people from the lists,

I am a researcher from Brazil studying math and language; could someone please comment on this short video I made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=255&v=-gUluF0LJfc  (5 min)

Is about the similarities between mathematics and language.

thanks

Rogério Lourenço - Information Ethnographer

https://metaimagem.wordpress.com/
https://br.linkedin.com/in/rogeriolourenco
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rogerio_Lourenco

Andrius Kulikauskas

Jul 22, 2016, 2:23:42 PM7/22/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Rogério,

Thank you for sharing with us!

I'm interested in the connection between mathematics and discourse
analysis. Here is a study of mine on "the ways of figuring things out"
where I distinguish between surface structure and deep structure in
solving a math problem:
http://www.ms.lt/sodas/Book/DiscoveryInMathematics

I watched your video but I found the text-to-video distracting and
impersonal.

I'm interested in more explicit ideas. I see that most of your papers
are in Portuguese, which I don't understand. I found this post of yours
more helpful:
https://metaimagem.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/counting-is-to-mediate/

I also found your self-presentation below more helpful. But still it
would be nice to hear directly from you what you are investigating.
What is a question that you are working to answer?

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
m...@ms.lt
+370 607 27 665

Metaimagem is about Linguistics, Mathematics, Anthropology and
Information Visualization. If you dig that, come in. Otherwise, share
some stuff. I work with digital information research and content
documentation. I have experience in education technology, media
production and other language needs. I can use anthropology,
communications and linguistics to analyze symbolic patterns and
synthesize it in technology creations and conceptual uses. I believe in
work efficiency oriented by facts and based on values. I discovered
myself as a hybrid of documentation manager & ethnographer by working in
recent positions I had. That´s why I choose to go a bit deeper in
linguistics, and have analytic tools for understand meaning... As I have
been organizing and managing analogic and digital content, I stumbled up
in many ethnographic tasks. In different occasions, I had to do
fieldwork at several types of archives, besides investigating people´s
responsibilities with the content and documentation. It takes a few
steps to realize that ethnographic work has to do with the digital space
(the field) we live now. The traditional role of information
architecture, as a science, is more a formal one that can get the data
structured but it can´t get the people behind this data…and there is a
matter of social sciences to know both. Since then I have the attitude
to assume I still a anthropologist, but with the will to deal with
information...as a human language need.

metaimagem

Jul 24, 2016, 4:43:20 PM7/24/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrius

Thank you for your research on the stuff I left to contextualize the videos sent to this list.

The people on the ethnomathematics list I sent also said that the video is not good to convey my thoughts… However, since I have some feedback from you from the list, I fell that I need to write a more detailed article to explain my ideas.

I really liked your approach to mathematical resolution from a point of view of recursion. If I got your point right, to know the syntax of the mental space is to mediate the problems with structural features that are “intuitively” perceived bus humans.

As an anthropologist studying mathematics as cultural production, to think beyond the illusion of literal meaning is very difficult to have interlocutors. For mathematicians, the sensation that five is always five does not contradicts the fact that we can go for five from four, or got it back from six. There is no fixed point to where we can say numbers are static.

Such comprehension of the mobility of the mind to make a pathway to the solution is my main interest.

Even if Linguistics is the science of meaningful speech production, it is not totally a “meaning related” discipline. Structure, or more specifically, syntax, plays a main role on establishing the bases for a comprehension of the language faculty. Sure Chomsky has great insights to the question of recursion and the similarities between language and numbers.

Although mathematics is beyond language, it cannot exist without it. It also needs some semiotic medium to materially storing the mental procedures it creates. Since mathematics is then a kind of graphical system, the symbols it takes to execute it are culturally embedded.

My interest in mathematics is the discursive, or the “how to solve it” aspect you mentioned in your text citing Polya.

My research has been conducting an analysis of mathematical word problems from the Brazilian Public Schools Mathematics Olympiad. By looking on the discursive aspect of the different strategies for the same question, I could identify patterns in the way people at the situation dealt with the resolution.

Anyway, thank you again for your interest.

Andrius Kulikauskas

Jul 25, 2016, 8:54:09 AM7/25/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Rogério,

Thank you. That's more understandable. And thank you for your interest
in my approach.

It's very helpful that you highlighted your main thoughts:
* Your main interest is to comprehend the mobility (creativity,
flexibility) of the mind to make a pathway to a solution of a math problem.
* Your main interest in math is the discursive, "how to solve it" aspect.
* You've analyzed the mathematical word problems from the Brazilian
Public Schools Mathemtics Olympiad.

Rogério, how would you phrase your interest as a question that you don't
have the answer to, but you wish to discover the answer to? A question
that you are investigating or would like to investigate? It could be
several questions. Then it would be possible to consider how to be
supportive of your investigation.

We do have a lot in common. I think of "implicit math" as the math
which we do in our minds. And I think of "explicit math" as the math
that gets written on paper. And more generally, like you, I'm
interested in the implicit conceptual language by which we live our
lives. If we understood that, then we could understand what gets
generated explicitly.

I will think about my own questions and write about that too.

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
m...@ms.lt
+370 607 27 665

2016.07.24 23:41, metaimagem rašė:

> [...]
>
> Rogério,
>
> Thank you for sharing with us!
>
> I'm interested in the connection between mathematics and discourse
> analysis. Here is a study of mine on "the ways of figuring things
> out" where I distinguish between surface structure and deep
> structure in solving a math problem:
> http://www.ms.lt/sodas/Book/DiscoveryInMathematics
>
> I watched your video but I found the text-to-video distracting and
> impersonal.
>
> I'm interested in more explicit ideas. I see that most of your
> papers are in Portuguese, which I don't understand. I found this
> post of yours more helpful:
> https://metaimagem.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/counting-is-to-mediate/
>
> I also found your self-presentation below more helpful. But still
> it would be nice to hear directly from you what you are
> investigating. What is a question that you are working to answer?

metaimagem

Nov 14, 2017, 6:48:01 PM11/14/17
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hi, about a year ago I asked the list to comment on the two robots video about mathematics and language...

Recently I had the chance to talk with some programmers and tell them this story and if / how my project about learn mathematics and language simultaneously was feasible...and it turns out we started a github babystep / TDD software development of the thesis and I will be adding useful materials / suggestions for them (us)  there.

The palavra contada / counting words project is a endeavor to make possible to understand how counting can be something that is both narrative and structured. In Portuguese the verb contar (to count) is the same  for words and  numbers. Although it meaning is not totally covered in English, it maintains somehow the semantic link to the activity of creation.

To understand the number line as something that we can go through in many ways, that is, by knowing different forms of description we have access to the key to learn mathematics. The challenge is to memorize the map...the mental space we move our quantities go get the result in the end of course.

The majority of people who are reading this, as well the majority of non reading both don´t know, and don´t have positive feelings with mathematics; they recognize it, appraise it but do not want to stay with it within their bodies, in their minds...

As a researcher, among other things, I have the challenge to produce digital content for different supports, some interactive, other not. Mathematics is thought within a medium, a paper, a computer, and the stream of consciousness that make the operations possible although in our heads, needs a physical support to embed the content being manipulated.

I discovered some time ago looking for the role of language in mathematical education that in order to understand math, it was neither necessary to discover it hidden somewhere in the statement, nor it was necessary to attach meaning to it. It is the case that in order to do it, we need to just to be able describe it in many forms as possible, as the information is already there and can be seen in many ways. To narrate something is to account the whole of participant, actions, processes and events of the problem in different possibilities.

My hypothesis was to see mathematics as a cultural practice in other societies it was also possible to learn about it narratives, the specific ways each society have to achieve some  general principle. How societies pass technological knowledge through the generations. It was clear that the problem was not to attach a fixed meaning but how to construct any meaning by the same fixed support. It was a language discursive problem.

Researching about a subject is the capacity of narrative about something, to describe in a stylistic form any object and still preserve it characteristics. The numerical narrative is possible, and it characteristics are described by many cultures. In the process of searching for mathematical examples I found the ethnomathematics research field. This approach to mathematics is based on the ethnographic fact that operations are made with different procedures, symbols and tools.

By 2009, at the same time I also found the data visualization field. The blog from Manuel Lima changed my mind about how deluded with anthropology I was. The possibility to think mathematics as something ethnomathematics had been appointed to other societies, the tools itself are embedded, with no meaning to be attached. It was a reading procedure instead of applying some though into it.

This blog has been used somehow to describe this story. Since then, I had contact with so many other things, like the incredible professional community of EPIC, witch had me put in contact with design research techniques that will improve my goal seeking intentions with education, culture and mathematics.

This is a story about myself. A story about how I came to this blog and how I pretend to use it forward. I am starting this effort to construct a place, a object where it is possible to come with words and get numbers, and vice versa.  I can see is necessary a lot of experimentation, and I am starting it.

Any suggestions are welcome , thank you for you attention!

metaimagem

Nov 23, 2017, 1:23:19 PM11/23/17
to is...@nmsu.edu, mathf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all of you who are giving me advice on how to improve the palavra contada / counting words  project in many ways.

I tried include the comments here:

Thank you.

--
► beauty follows dignity