"Implicit math" and/or a "science of math"

Andrius Kulikauskas

Sep 18, 2016, 9:04:38 PM9/18/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Dear Maria, Joe, Bradford, Michel and all,

I wrote to Gizem Karaali, an editor of the Journal of Humanistic
Mathematics, about my wish to start a conversation on "implicit math"
and/or a "science of math". I was encouraged by her response. With her
permission, I share our letters here. My thought is to discuss how we
might look at math in a new way, not restricting ourselves to using
mathematical methods, but consider what scientific approaches in general
might tell us about math, especially the cognition ("implicit math")
which takes place in our minds when we work on math. Indeed, linguist
Noah Chomsky developed "transformational grammar" to study how our minds
construct sentences, and certainly a similar approach could be
undertaken with regard to mathematical language. I will write
separately about other approaches that I'm taking such as a
phenomenological investigation ("a taxonomy of moods") and an aesthetic
investigation (an art show about geometry). I'm curious how best to
connect with other people. Gizem Karaali agreed that I could submit an
article based on whatever seems most conducive for such a conversation.

Thank you for our ideas and encouragement here!

Andrius Kulikauskas

Sep 19, 2016, 11:49:44 PM9/19/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Andrius,
Go for it.

As I may have expressed before, I believe "math" is about more than number,
specifically it includes "arrangement" and "pattern",
including ideas of symmetry, similarity, and periodicity.
I think we make a mistake in attempting to do everything with "letters" (algebraic)
instead of "pictures" (geometric).

I started exploring such ideas early on but never pursued it.
I'm not sure where the "state of the art" is today, but I think the approach deserves more attention
than it gets in the general curriculum.

Joe Austin

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Sep 20, 2016, 10:43:51 AM9/20/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Joe

As I may have expressed before, I believe "math" is about more than number,
specifically it includes "arrangement" and "pattern",
including ideas of symmetry, similarity, and periodicity.
I think we make a mistake in attempting to do everything with "letters" (algebraic)
instead of "pictures" (geometric).

You are right. Yet we need to go beyond pictures to broaden our understanding of math. Pictures are not in and of themselves, they represent something else that is "real". For example: when cutting the picture of the circle from the paper it becomes that dynamic object the image represents. The object holds the image (includes what can be constructed 2-D) and so much more that is lost to the limitation of a picture point of view and to the distortion that occurs in compressing a 3-D form into a 2-D image. Is there any wonder that even the most abstract of math relates back to the physics of experience in the real world; that is where it comes from in the first place. Without know where things come from we do not know what they are or the potential inherently carried in the form.

We draw pictures of circles, we truncate circles into polygons, we cut out squares, then fold amazing things from the square without realizing what might be revealed through folding the circle without truncation. We have become so caught up that we can no longer see our fingers for the keyboard of neural connectors in our mind.

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture.

Bradford Hansen-Smith
www.wholemovement.com

Joseph Austin

Sep 21, 2016, 10:12:38 AM9/21/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Bradford,
I agree, just as 2D is better than 1D (strings), 3D is better than 2D,
for example, it can depict "arbitrary" pair-connections with out crossing line, which could lead to ambiguity.

Now that we have 3D printing, creating actual 3D models may be practical.
And then there is 3D virtual reality.

But let's see some useful example.
For example, we can depict algebraic formulae as trees,
making "order of operations" explicit and unambiguous.

Joe