techne

michel paul

Apr 16, 2014, 11:08:00 PM4/16/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
From Heidegger's essay The Question Concerning Technology:

'''
We must observe two things with respect to the meaning of this word. One is that techne is the name not only for the activities and skills of the craftsman but also for the arts of the mind and the fine arts. Techne belongs to bringing-forth, to poiesis; it is something poetic.

The other thing that we should observe with regard to techne is even more important. From earliest times until Plato the word techne is linked with the word episteme. Both words are terms for knowing in the widest sense.
'''
​Written more than 50 years ago, but clearly relevant for STEM today.​

​Heidegger was critiquing the 'modern' instrumental understanding of technology, lamenting the decline from the Greek understanding. But again, this was way back in the 50's. Things have changed a lot since then. We are transitioning from an industrial to an informational understanding, and in some deep ways, the age of computational technology has restored for us the Greek understanding of 'techne'.

--
​ Michel
===================================

- Richard Feynman
"Computer science is the new mathematics."

- Dr. Christos Papadimitriou

roberto

Apr 18, 2014, 3:15:15 AM4/18/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com