Introduction and how do I run the command line programs?

Willem van der Walt

Apr 26, 2018, 7:14:06 AM4/26/18
to math-descri...@googlegroups.com
Good day,
I am Willem van der Walt.
I have pulled the mde from git and want to know how to run the command
line example programs found in e.g.
mde/src/gov/nasa/ial/mde/CommandLineDescriber.java.
I am a programmer, but not a java one.
I found an ant directory, mde/dist/ant
from where I ran ant which seem to have worked and I saw it created a
number of .class files in mde/bin/gov/nasa/ial/mde, including the two I
would like to run.
I want to implement these on a linux machine without a graphical display.
The sonifier and describer example programs do exactly what I had in mind,
I.E. one types an equation and either get the verbal description of the
graph, or one gets the sonification of the graph.
I did some googling, but so far could not get it going.
Any help would be appreciated.
The machine I want to run it on, is known as the SA-Note,
http://www.sanote.co.za.
Sorry for such a basic question, Willem

Terry Hodgson

Apr 26, 2018, 9:21:28 AM4/26/18
to wvd...@csir.co.za, math-descri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willem.  Which git repository did you pull it from?  There are a few.

You might want to pull the original source and/or run-time libraries and the Programmer's Guide from this site:

You'll need to have installed a Java Runtime Environment, of course.

MDE is built on a very old version of java, so I'll have to see how to get it going from linux - and if it will run with current JRE's or if it needs to reference an old one.

Let me know if any of that helps.  I'll get back to you on it if you still have problems.

Thanks,
Terry Hodgson

Terry Hodgson

Apr 26, 2018, 9:47:14 AM4/26/18
to math-descri...@googlegroups.com, wvd...@csir.co.za
Just ran a quick email search, and found something primitive that works, but I did recompile the examples.
I don't know if you want to install the Java SDK (which comes with a JRE), but if you do, here's one thing that works.

cp lib/mde-sdk.jar to examples directory

Compile the command-line examples:

javac -cp ./mde-sdk.jar *.java

Run:
java -cp ".;mde-sdk.jar" Tutorial_CommandLineDescriber

It will prompt you to enter an equation.

See the programmer's guide for the referenced tutorial.

Willem van der Walt

Apr 26, 2018, 10:58:16 AM4/26/18
to math-descri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply!
I did not know if the project was still active, so am really happy to have
heard from you so quickly.
I will try your suggestions in your other email and let you know if it
works.
By default, I have a rather old jre installed anyway, but for future
reference I suppose it would be good to know if the latest java also
works.
Thanks again,
kind regards, Willem
>> email to math-description-...@googlegroups.com.
>> groups.com.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/grou
>> p/math-description-engine.

Willem van der Walt

May 2, 2018, 2:34:36 AM5/2/18
to Terry Hodgson, math-descri...@googlegroups.com
Good day,
Thanks for the instructions.
It works, but the sonifier does not play the sound under Linux.
It says: "No audio line available; no sound will play".
Thanks so far anyway.
At least the description works well.
Just in case someone else reads these instructions, I had to change the
semmi colon to a colon under Linux for it to work.
Kind regards, Willem