6GR qualified welder. As per AWS D1.1

Philip, Taiye (Lagos)

Jul 2, 2010, 8:59:33 AM7/2/10
to material...@googlegroups.com

Hello gents,

 I have a query on butt joint welding with 6GR qualified welder. As per AWS D1.1 (2006) Table 4.10 Note d, 6GR qualified welder is qualified for all position. However, they are not qualified to weld production weld butt joint welded from one side without backing or welded from both side without backing. In this case, it is considered as single side welding without backing. Pls could some one in the house clarify more on these if I am right or wrong as per D1.1 interpretations?

Regards

Philip Taiye

Principal QA/QC Welding Engineer

(MIPs Quality Control)

DeltaAfrik Engineering Limited

2nd Floor, City Express Bank Building

Plot 1637 Adetokunbo Ademola Street

Victoria Island, Lagos  Nigeria

Phone: +234-1-461-8508, +2341-461-6137 ext. 1257
Cell: +234-(0)-803-803-1396
Fax: +234-1-262-2418

e-mail: taiye....@worleyparsons.com

*** WORLEYPARSONS GROUP NOTICE *** "This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the email and any attachments. Any personal views or opinions expressed by the writer may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any company in the WorleyParsons Group of Companies."

john rodrigues

Jul 2, 2010, 1:23:51 PM7/2/10
to material...@googlegroups.com
6GR qualified welder can weld single sided weld provided weld joint shall have backing strip or backing.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:31:40 +0530 wrote

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

John Rodrigues

N VENKATESWARA PRASAD

Jul 2, 2010, 3:11:52 PM7/2/10
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Philip,

The 6GR position applicable for pipe welding and as know that pipe welding means done only from one side with out backing.  So the welder is qualified  without backing.  So he is qualified to weld any position  and butt joints with / without backing.  Your inerpreation is not correct.

N.V. PRASAD
WELDING ENGINEER
VELOSI CERTIFICATION
QATAR.

MOHAMMED AZMATHKHAN AZMATH

Jul 2, 2010, 1:44:41 PM7/2/10
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir,
please send me WPS,PQR FORMATES AS PER BSEN STANDARD
THANKS,
AZMAT

K.Babu

Jul 2, 2010, 10:48:46 PM7/2/10
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir,

Your Correct with ur interpretation.

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

--
Thanks & regards,

K.Babu

Shashank Vagal

Jul 7, 2010, 3:09:19 PM7/7/10
to material...@googlegroups.com
Philip,
Please give more details on the PQR and production weld.
Shank
08037756442

--- On Fri, 2/7/10, Philip, Taiye (Lagos) <Taiye....@deltaafrik.com> wrote:

Kathalingam Babu

Jul 8, 2010, 12:07:18 AM7/8/10
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Philip,

I have responded to your query earlier that, you are 100% is correct with the interpretation.

If you qualify the welder in 6GR , the welder is qualified to weld all position with backing. In case of TKY joint of Pipes, the backing is difficult & tedious , so the root pass will act as a backing for the remaining welding .

This one has to be proved by your WPS by macro cross section.

May be you come up with agreement with your client and Class in the form of written statement and sign off.

For example ; API 5L X100 pipes in TKY joint , i'll use the E9016G in root (Which will act as backing) & E11018MH4 for rest  which will be welded without backing by welder qualified in 6GR position.

Note : Provide Root gap 4 ~ 5 mm which will ensure CJP of joint.

Thanks & Regards,

K.Babu
Singapore

G.Alagarasan

Jul 8, 2010, 10:27:08 AM7/8/10
to material...@googlegroups.com
Philip,

your interpretation is correct.

Alagu

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:42:46 +0530 wrote

>Philip,
Please give more details on the PQR and production weld.
Shank
08037756442

Sandeep

Jun 13, 2019, 6:56:51 AM6/13/19
to Materials & Welding
     Dear Sir,

    Actually I need to Qualify the WPS for 6GR position as per AWS D1.1.

As per Clause no 9.15.4.1, it is clear that Mock up test coupons need to be welded.My concern is about the size ofspecimen to be used for Sample Mock up test. Whether we can use Plates (Since it is mentioned Sample joint) instead of tubular sections. Also whether  points a,b,c applicable for only plates.??

Thanking You,

Sandeep.P.R