Formula for calculating SMAW & TIG Consumable Quantity & Gas Consumption

Sujeet Sangle

Aug 25, 2009, 5:48:54 AM8/25/09
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Memebers ,

I need to calculate quantity for SMAW consumable  for Structural Electrodes for V Groove different thickness and Diameter

TIG consumable for piping work different thickness and Diameter .

Together with the Pre heating gas consumption .

Can any one guide me for the above .

Thanks

Sujeet

chander...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2009, 6:12:56 AM8/26/09
to Materials & Welding
REPLY

Dear Member/s,

THe quickest method is to fist calculate volume of the V- groove .
Multiply this volume with density to get theoreticall weight of weld
metal. Now we know that the actual weight used is much more than the
theoretical weight since there are butt losses,electrode coating has
to be accounted for and there is convexity at the top and root of
joint.
Thus the weld metal weight therefore =theoretical weight xQ factor
( Quantity factor) .This Q factor=2 for TIG welding and 2.5 for SMAW.

Hope this thumb rule will help you calculate weight of welding
electrode/wire required for a joint..

Sorry that for your second query for gas consumption I am unable to
respond.

Chander Girotra
==========================================================================================================================

daniel iordache

Aug 26, 2009, 7:00:32 AM8/26/09
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

maybe that help you ....

in part ....

Regards
--
Daniel Iordache
Bureau Veritas - Angola

Sujeet Sangle

Aug 28, 2009, 1:32:34 AM8/28/09
to material...@googlegroups.com
Friends ,

thanks for hte below guide line ,

Here i am looking for more details instead of knowing the whole volume of metal required .

I would lke to know the quantity for each type of electrode as we have for eg TIG root and hot pass followed with 7016 or

root is down hill and the other pasess are up hill ,

Do any one know how to find this or any Excel  program as most of the time need to depend of the supplier or welding formans .

Any helping hand will be appreciated .

Regards

Sujeet

waqas suleman

Aug 29, 2009, 10:02:47 AM8/29/09
to material...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Daniel for sharing ths information.you send calculation for plates joints.can you please send calculation of welding consumables for pipes(butt joint and fillet joint)

Regards,
waqas suleman