Does MT support any sort of Pull API?

Josh

Dec 14, 2017, 7:39:45 PM12/14/17
to masstransit-discuss
I know MT follows the "Hollywood Principle", but I figured this was worth asking anyway. Is any form of Pull API/Basic GET supported by MT?

Alternatively, is there a better way to accomplish the following? We are migrating to a RabbitMQ based system and like what MT offers, but we have several use cases we're not sure how to handle. We have a few cases where we need a consumer to do a set amount of work and then shut down. Here are just two examples:
  • Writing a batch of queue messages into a file with a fixed file size (e.g. "Take until 10,000 records")
  • Writing all the queue messages from yesterday into a file (e.g. "Take while Creation date less than Today)

The naive design was to start a consumer on demand, have it perform a configurable amount of work and then shut down. Additional messages would queue up on a lazy queue. That seems pretty simple to do in RabbitMQ.Client or with something like RawRabbit, but I'm not seeing how to do that properly in MT.

Thanks!

Chris Patterson

Dec 15, 2017, 12:52:07 PM12/15/17
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
You could create your service as normal, but schedule it to start/stop to do the work at the end of the day as you suggest.

Otherwise, it's meant to do things as quickly as possible!