UseConcurrencyLimit > 1 losing messages

Jeff Borden

Dec 10, 2016, 5:59:21 PM12/10/16
to masstransit-discuss
I've found that if I set UseConcurrencyLimit to any value great than one on my saga, that I'll lose typically 1 to 2 messages per thousand.  They just seem to disappear into the ether.  Nothing in the error queues.

Is there a way I can up the concurrency limit without losing messages?

Chris Patterson

Dec 10, 2016, 7:22:14 PM12/10/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
It's likely you have a timing issue in your saga.

What repository are you using? Are you using the InMemoryOutBox to defer messages until the saga is saved? And what transport are you using?

__
Chris Patterson

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:59 PM -0800, "Jeff Borden" <jbor...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've found that if I set UseConcurrencyLimit to any value great than one on my saga, that I'll lose typically 1 to 2 messages per thousand.  They just seem to disappear into the ether.  Nothing in the error queues.

Is there a way I can up the concurrency limit without losing messages?

Jeff Borden

Dec 10, 2016, 8:20:44 PM12/10/16
to masstransit-discuss
Hey Chris,

I'm using Rabbit & EF.  I'm not using InMemoryOutBox, is that recommended?

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 6:22:14 PM UTC-6, Chris Patterson wrote:
It's likely you have a timing issue in your saga.

What repository are you using? Are you using the InMemoryOutBox to defer messages until the saga is saved? And what transport are you using?

__
Chris Patterson

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:59 PM -0800, "Jeff Borden" <jbor...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've found that if I set UseConcurrencyLimit to any value great than one on my saga, that I'll lose typically 1 to 2 messages per thousand.  They just seem to disappear into the ether.  Nothing in the error queues.

Is there a way I can up the concurrency limit without losing messages?

Alexey Zimarev

Dec 11, 2016, 12:29:00 PM12/11/16
to masstransit-discuss
Jeff, using the outbox will prevent publishing messages that are part of the step process, before saga state is properly persisted. If you do not use it, your messages can be sent out but saga persistence fails for some reason and in such case the saga will be in an invalid state.

When you have many messages come to the same saga instance in parallel, you can get the database record overwritten. If the record is locked, then you can get an exception when persisting the saga and in such case definitely the outbox can help.

Jeff Borden

Dec 11, 2016, 12:47:33 PM12/11/16
to masstransit-discuss
Alexey,

Thank you.  I've implemented the outbox and my saga is finally behaving like I had hoped.  I was going nuts trying to track down missing messages.  I'm hoping some documentation gets added regarding the feature, as it seems to be an important one and a difficult one to troubleshoot.

Alexey Zimarev

Dec 11, 2016, 2:51:03 PM12/11/16
to masstransit-discuss
Welcome to the club, I had exactly the same issue but I traced the saga repository errors in the log so it was quite clear what is going on but I did not know how to fix it.

I will try to update the docs or may be Chris will do it before me :)

Alexey Zimarev

Dec 11, 2016, 3:00:57 PM12/11/16
to masstransit-discuss

Dru Sellers

Dec 12, 2016, 10:07:46 AM12/12/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
re: docs - I'm working on this now - http://masstransit-project.com/

The question, is. Where would I put this. :)

Open to ideas and review.

Chris Patterson

Dru Sellers

Alexey Zimarev

Dec 12, 2016, 10:49:02 AM12/12/16
to masstransit-discuss
Dru, documentation sites split now, do you have plans to include it to the main repo and accept PRs?

Chris Patterson

Dec 12, 2016, 11:42:26 AM12/12/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
The documentation site (MassTransit/masstransit.github.io) will absolutely accept PR's, we're slowly migrating the content over to the new site and still trying to figure out TOC/indexing strategies to make it as useful at the existing RTD site.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Alexey Zimarev <azim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dru, documentation sites split now, do you have plans to include it to the main repo and accept PRs?

Alexey Zimarev

Dec 16, 2016, 3:44:45 AM12/16/16
to masstransit-discuss
http://docs.servicestack.net/ uses Github Pages and has perfect ToC