MassTransit or RabbitMQ listener for Windows Process Activation Service (WAS)

Diederik Kraaikamp

May 4, 2015, 5:18:41 AM5/4/15
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to build a proof-of-concept where IIS-hosted WCF applications will be consuming messages from a bus.
I'd like to use MassTransit for a bus with RabbitMQ as it's transport both of which I'm new to.
Ideally I'd like to make use of message based activation (a feature of the Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) of IIS 7).
There is (of course) no out of the box support in WAS for either a RabbitMQ or MassTransit protocol (as there is for MSMQ).
Meaning I would have to extend WAS by building a so-called protocol listener, a listener adapter and a protocol handler.
Basically as far as I understand this means building a windows service that listens to MassTransit (or perhaps RabbitMQ) and feeds the message to WAS.

Firstly since activating a IIS-hosted application seems to me a common requirement I was wondering if someone had already done this or something similar before.

Secondly I was wondering what benefit I would get from building a MassTransit listener instead of a RabbitMQ one.

Chris Patterson

May 4, 2015, 10:02:07 AM5/4/15
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
WPAS activation only supports MSMQ, and honestly, I'm surprised that anyone would still even use it.

If you want to host message services, and combine them with WCF inbound, well, use Topshelf, create your own ServiceHost to self-host your WCF service, and be much happier than using IIS7.

Diederik Kraaikamp

May 5, 2015, 9:43:44 AM5/5/15
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I'm for the time being bound to the use of IIS7. The company I work for has a lot of ASP.NET applications happily hosted in IIS.
My thoughts were, since most of these applications contain some business logic that would apply to incoming messages as well as to incoming browser requests, why not make them listen to messages also. And a PoC that shows a Wcf Service hosted in IIS listening to MassTransit also proofs it would be possible to make an ASP.NET application listen for messages.

Chris Patterson

May 5, 2015, 10:31:06 AM5/5/15
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com