MT on .NET Core

Dave Smith

Mar 29, 2016, 10:14:09 AM3/29/16
to masstransit-discuss
I've been looking for a feature-request issue on GitHub and I've come up empty so far, are there any discussions about this that I'm missing?

Travis Smith

Mar 29, 2016, 10:27:40 AM3/29/16
to masstransit-discuss
Currently there isn't an issue, so feel free to open one up.

I started taking look at this for Topshelf (https://github.com/Topshelf/Topshelf/issues/277) and I know many of the shared bits will either have to be rewritten or worked around. We also will have to see if the client libraries we depend upon end up supporting .NET Core. I don't expect to see support for .NET Core in the near term. I'm sure we'll be revisiting this in the future though.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 10:14 AM David Smith <smith....@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been looking for a feature-request issue on GitHub and I've come up empty so far, are there any discussions about this that I'm missing?

-Travis

Dru Sellers

Mar 29, 2016, 10:29:50 AM3/29/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
I'd say that we all want it and are waiting for the bits to stabilize before we start taking a serious look at the conversion. :)

Chris Patterson

Mar 29, 2016, 4:20:37 PM3/29/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
It's a matter of getting libraries that work with RabbitMQ and azure service bus at this point. I'm sure there is something in MassTransit that will not work, particularly around the reflection and code generation for dynamic types - that will have to find a way to work with core at least.

I'm curious to see if they're going to announce anything at build this week. But so far the bits have been too early to commit to at this point.

I would rather focus on making sure the .NET 4.5 story is solid first. In fact I think we need to bump to 4.5.2 since they have ended support for 4.5 at this point.

__
Chris Patterson

Chirag Patel

Apr 4, 2016, 12:44:53 PM4/4/16
to masstransit-discuss
I gladly agree with the approach in making sure that .NET 4.5 story remains solid instead of having too much focus on multi-platform & .net core support.

I would still like to ask if there are any early thoughts whether MT3 will support .net & .net core both eventually.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Travis Smith <tra...@legomaster.net> wrote:
Currently there isn't an issue, so feel free to open one up.

I started taking look at this for Topshelf (https://github.com/Topshelf/Topshelf/issues/277) and I know many of the shared bits will either have to be rewritten or worked around. We also will have to see if the client libraries we depend upon end up supporting .NET Core. I don't expect to see support for .NET Core in the near term. I'm sure we'll be revisiting this in the future though.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 10:14 AM David Smith <smith....@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been looking for a feature-request issue on GitHub and I've come up empty so far, are there any discussions about this that I'm missing?

Chris Patterson

Apr 4, 2016, 1:37:42 PM4/4/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
It's absolutely a goal to support .NET core when it's ready, and the supporting transport drivers become available. It's going to be an effort, for sure, as there are likely some changes required, but the goal is to make MassTransit work with .NET core as well as the existing .NET runtime.

.NET Core is just too unsettled at this point to spend energy on it.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Chirag Patel <chirag...@rightside.co> wrote:
[...]

Abu Sazzad

Nov 16, 2016, 1:10:00 AM11/16/16
to masstransit-discuss
Hi Chris,

Now that .Net Core is released do you guys have any plan to release MT for .Net core sooner?

Regards,
Abu

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 3:37:42 AM UTC+10, Chris Patterson wrote:
[...]

Chris Patterson

Nov 16, 2016, 9:08:14 AM11/16/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
There is an issue to track this, but basically the tooling is a train wreck right now. And needs to be fixed before we get much further. So many little glitches that make working with the code base a pain in the ass.

Watch the Connect() keynotes today you'll get a sense of just when the timing might line up.

__
Chris Patterson

Dru Sellers

Nov 16, 2016, 9:29:57 AM11/16/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
Also, MT has a decent amount of underlying dependencies that we will need to wait to make the jump to core as well, such as the RabbitMQ driver.

-Travis

kumar

Nov 28, 2016, 8:58:22 AM11/28/16
to masstransit-discuss
Hi Chris,

              Does MassTransit works for Dotnet Core now.May I know how to implement MassTransit it in Dotnet Core.

Thanks
            Kumar.

Chris Patterson

Nov 28, 2016, 12:13:35 PM11/28/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
It's unlikely until .NET core is real, right now it's edgy at best and the tooling is changing over to csproj again, so I'm waiting and not wasting time fighting the tooling. Once it's ready, it should be a short time to get it ported.