Debugging applications that are using MassTransit

Mikael Johansson

Apr 7, 2017, 6:51:01 AM4/7/17
to masstransit-discuss
Hi,

I am working with an application where we are using MassTransit together with RabbitMQ.
We are facing various problem with this, most of them our own faults.

However from time to time we are finding issues that we just cant explain or understand and where it looks like MassTransit is doing something wierd.

So my question is then what is the different debugging capabilities we have for helping us look inside MassTransit?

These are the know ways for us this far:
* Downloading the PDB files to debug inside masstransit. (Have not found the pdb files yet but I have read that they exists atleast)
* Enabling Debug logs with Log4.Net

Are there any other ways of debugging with MassTransit that you know that was useful for you when you are debugging problems?
For example maybe a tool that could be useful to keep track on messages?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Patterson

Apr 7, 2017, 9:34:03 AM4/7/17
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
Logging is your first stop. If you aren't logging output using Log4net or NLog yet, start there.

Visual studio should find the PDB files through the symbol server. It's published along with the NuGet package.

__
Chris Patterson

Alexey Zimarev

Apr 7, 2017, 1:41:33 PM4/7/17
to masstransit-discuss

Mikael Johansson

Apr 11, 2017, 4:48:57 AM4/11/17
to masstransit-discuss
Do I need to use a specific symbol server for it to work? In my nuget package I only have three files:
MassTransit.dll,
MassTransit.pdb.srcsrv
MassTransit.XML

None of them is a pdb file.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 3:51 AM -0700, "Mikael Johansson" <fdjfj2...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Mikael Johansson

Apr 11, 2017, 7:37:38 AM4/11/17
to masstransit-discuss
I could also mention that we are using this nuget package:
  <package id="MassTransit" version="3.5.2" targetFramework="net452" />

Chris Patterson

Apr 11, 2017, 9:26:10 AM4/11/17
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com

Mikael Johansson

Apr 11, 2017, 10:30:36 AM4/11/17
to masstransit-discuss
I have tried that one before.
But when doing that I only get:
https://nuget.smbsrc.net/: Symbols not found on symbol server.

Is this something you have seen before?

Chris Patterson

Apr 11, 2017, 8:02:50 PM4/11/17
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Mikael Johansson

Apr 12, 2017, 1:00:44 PM4/12/17
to masstransit-discuss
Well I guess i am abit stupid now since you are linking the same link twice. But since I obviously still do not get it. In that link they only tell us to use https://nuget.smbsrc.net/.
And I am using that symbol server, still it do not work for me. It tells me that it can't find MassTransit pdb there. (thats the log I did enter in the post before).

So what am I missing?

Chris Patterson

Apr 12, 2017, 2:26:10 PM4/12/17
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
I think my email just sent twice for some reason...

Mikael Johansson

Apr 14, 2017, 4:16:30 AM4/14/17
to masstransit-discuss
Is there someone that it works for without using a pre release? (if someone decides to try it make sure to remove it from your cache first)

One thing I did note is that if I try to run: nuget list MassTransit -prerelease -source https://nuget.smbsrc.net/
That works fine and I get lots of results for different MassTransit nuget packages. For example one of the result is MassTransit 3.5.7-at-164N4C

But if I would not use the -prerelease flag I would get No packages found.