Hystirx

Guy Kolbis

Nov 27, 2016, 10:00:36 AM11/27/16
to masstransit-discuss, gu...@net-bet.net
Hi

I am looking to integrate hystrix or similar tool in order to implement circuit breaker and monitoring.
I have found a port for hystrix.net, BUT I am not sure how mature it is.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks

Chris Patterson

Nov 27, 2016, 10:38:22 AM11/27/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
I can't comment on Hystrix, but I know the general premise around creating enough elasticity in a processing system to prevent cascade failures from taking down the entire system.

MT3 has a circuit breaker, but it's only part of the solution. There needs to be an entire series of components to make everything work together just right, and I have some ideas around it.

Mostly in the area of recognizing traffic jams and using detours (if a known path is failing, identity an alternate path in advance that doesn't take down the system and prevent successful operations from completing).

For instance, if you have a mix of vendor traffic on the same path (which is common, in a distributed processing system), and one vendor gets slow (escalating unavailability until no longer responding) other vendor traffic can get jammed up behind it. Identifying slow traffic, and pushing it through a lower priority path which separates that vendor from the mainstream typical latency path keeps the system alive and available without spreading the effects of the single vendor delay to other vendors.

A lot of these capabilities have been built into the applications that use MT, but slowly those features are being harvested into the core library for easy reuse. The trick is that the more complex they are, the more dependencies they bring on board, so they'll likely be implemented in separate assemblies to avoid taking on the full burden for a simple message publisher.

The other thing is integrating with systems like Zipkin to support distributed tracing, and logging to Kafka to feed systems such as Elastic Search.

Guy Kolbis

Nov 27, 2016, 11:01:04 AM11/27/16
to masstransit-discuss
I think MT should add support to both Hystrix & Zipkin.
Both are great tools which provides insight, monitoring and resilience.
I am currently examining the .net port for Hystrix and trying to integrate it into MT as a middleware.

with that said, can you please share some more information about the circuit breaker shipped with MT?

Chris Patterson

Nov 27, 2016, 10:00:45 PM11/27/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com

Dru Sellers

Dec 12, 2016, 1:54:03 PM12/12/16
to masstrans...@googlegroups.com
At its core, isn't Hystrix just a library for running commands? Seems like if you leveraged Polly (https://github.com/App-vNext/Polly) plus what is in MT already you would be good to go. The biggest thing it appears for MT to do is to make sure the Request client has enough of the fall back stuff needed and then everything else would be just a matter of use Polly and apply Hystrix like command patterns to any thing that is RPC in style.

Am I off my rocker?

Yaron

Jan 12, 2017, 11:41:54 AM1/12/17
to masstransit-discuss
I hope not!

We've wrapped MT handlers / consumers with Polly policies as it seemed like quite a good fit.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/masstransit-discuss/916cc974-e62b-4973-a29c-d3786c24a707%40googlegroups.com.