Combined MBC and Forbush Bird Club trip to Mulberry St, Leicester behind the Worcester Airport 7/16/17

Price, Dolores

Jul 16, 2017, 9:23:23 PM7/16/17
to MassLep (masslep@googlegroups.com)

Many thanks to the 13 participants today that helped to observe 26 species of  butterflies.  A short walk along the roadside of route 56 allowed us to see two  silver-bordered fritillaries, a very uncommon finding on this trip. We then went to Mulberry St. to walk the old road to the cemetery (known as the spider gates) Here, we all had  great looks of the Baltimore checkerspots, a first for this fieldtrip. Some of us stayed on afterward to check the field and a few of us even went on to the Leicester recycling center where we had great looks at the common sooty wing.  The day also brought us good looks of bobolinks, turkeys, chestnut-sided warbler, and a black-billed cuckoo.

Black Swallowtail  8

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 6

Spicebush Swallowtail  1

Cabbage White 14