Giant Swallowtail caterpillars--Florence

Tomb...@aol.com

Jun 27, 2016, 11:02:25 AM6/27/16
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Folks:

     On June 4th Bruce Callahan saw a female GIANT SWALLOWTAIL laying eggs on our Rue plants at the backs steps.   When I got home from leading a field trip on Mt. Greylock I counted 14 EGGS!!!!

     Today, June 27th I counted TEN good size caterpillars on the plants plus one Black Swallowtail caterpillar.   Two days ago they were half the size they are today.   I plan on checking on them this evening to watch they chew away on my Rue.

     This morning we put netting around the plants, hopeing to keep the birds away.

Tom Gagnon, Florence (Bear Country) Massachusetts