Gant Swallowtail ~ Marblehead ~ 8/24/16 Possibly breeding?

Karen S. Haley

Aug 25, 2016, 11:08:49 PM8/25/16
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday (8/24) I saw my first Giant Swallowtail of the summer here in Marblehead. It was in the same location where I have seen them before in 2013 and 2014. (Didn't see one there last summer but may have missed them). I saw it mulling around my friend's yard 3 times in 4 hours. Every time (just as in past years) it flies into the yard from the same area of the woods and goes back to that area after. It's a "woodsie" area for Marblehead (that's not saying much) and across the street is 40+ acres of conservation land where I have found Harvesters in the past. If there is any chance of some breeding going on, what type of host plant would be most probable here in Marblehead? Prickly Ash or Hoptree? Are those trees native around here? Is it worth checking? Wait until I at least see 2 together? They love a large patch of yellow lantana that is in my friend's garden and nectar on it… They make a B-line right to it. They always seem on a mission! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS I have taken several Spicebush Swallowtail eggs off of my spicebush tree this summer and raised them as well.

Karen Haley
Marblehead
fledg...@juno.com
1 Odd Method 'Restores' Your 20/20 Vision. Try This Tonight
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/57bf1d05a03821d0543b3st03vuc

Sharon Stichter

Aug 26, 2016, 3:13:00 PM8/26/16
to fledg...@juno.com, MassLep
Hi Karen,

Hoptree (Ptelea) is most likely. It is found at MAS Ipswich River
Sanctuary, and I have also found it growing in Oak St. Cemetery in
Newburyport. Both hoptree and prickly ash (Xanthozylum) are native to the
US, but not really to Essex County; they are both probably introduced or
garden escapes here. Prickly ash is a big shrubby tree with thorns, not
very desirable for small landscapes, or small humans. It could be in the
wild in Essex County, but I haven't seen it. Hoptree is definitely present
in the wild here.

Exciting idea that Giant Swts could be overwintering in Marblehead! And
possibly in Ipswich. I wouldn't rule it out, but remember that they are
strong fliers and could be arriving from elsewhere. Also, they could arrive
in May/June, and breed for an August flight, then not survive over winter.
So what we need is some more evidence of a May/June flight, to confirm
successful overwintering in Essex County.

So far the great majority of Essex County reports have been in late summer;
I have only two firm spring flight reports in my records, in Rowley and
Chelmsford, in 2013. There are two caterpillar reports -- Sept. 18, 2014,
North Andover, H. Hoople/R. Hopping, photo; and Ipswich River WS. in
7/28/2013, M. Arey, in hop tree thicket. So obviously they're breeding, but
can they overwinter? Might depend on the severity of the winter.

More discussion at

http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/giant-swt.htm

Sharon

Sharon Stichter
The Butterflies of Massachusetts
http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net

Matthew Arey

Aug 26, 2016, 7:45:30 PM8/26/16
to sharons...@comcast.net, fledg...@juno.com, MassLep
Yes there is indeed a spring flight. In Wenham this year and in Amesbury last year.

Matt

Aug 26, 2016, 8:25:08 PM8/26/16
to Matthew Arey, fledg...@juno.com, MassLep
Okay--  Sorry Matt.  For some reason I did not have that Amesbury report in my records.  I have now found it, and will enter it.  The 6/1/2016 Wenham report I have, but took as a “possible” only, since I think you said it was a fly-by.  Assuming it was a Giant, it may have come from that colony you discovered at the Ipswich Riv. sanctuary, since that is quite nearby.  So you’re probably right about the spring flight, but I personally would like to see some more reports and a spring photo.

Sharon