Amherst Sootywing

Josh

Jul 18, 2017, 8:41:32 PM7/18/17
to MassLep
Hey all,

Walked in from an errand today and spotted a Common Sootywing nectaring on my wife’s spearmint patch by the front door (east Amherst). They often show up here when that plant starts blooming.

Apparently this has not been a good year for Sootywings, as I’m seeing only two other reports on MassLep so far this year, one the day before yesterday by Dolores Price about the MBC trip to Leicester, and the other back on May 18 from Sunderland by Bill Benner.

Cheers,

JSR

Elise Barry

Jul 18, 2017, 8:52:45 PM7/18/17
to mas...@googlegroups.com

Wendy Howes, Alan Rawle , and I counted 10 Common Sootywings last Sunday in Leverett on the Northampton-Amherst count. They were near large Lamb's Quarters patches.

Elise Barry