Plum Is. Newbury MA - White M Hairsteaks and others (9/23/17)

Matthew Arey

Sep 23, 2017, 8:34:30 PM9/23/17
to MassLep

Plum Island – Newbury, Essex Co. MA (9/23/17)

Weather conditions: Sunny, warm 80 deg.F

The North Shore coastal areas are now starting to get interesting. From now to as long as the weather stays warm, and it will. A rare late season heat wave gets underway tomorrow with 80’s to 90+ temps for the next 3 to 4 days.

Eastern Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes asterius) 2 males

Monarch (Danaus plexippus) 6 or 7

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) 10 +

Buckeye (Junonia coenia) 12+

Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma) 1

Common Ringlet (Coenonympha inornata) 3 or 4

*White-M Hairstreak (Parhassius m-album) 2 – one worn, one fresh

Gray Hairstreak (Strymon melinus) 5+

American Copper (Lycaena phlaeas) 10+

Bronze Copper (Hyllolycaena hyllus) 1 male, worn

Eastern Tailed Blue (Everes comyntas) 5+

Wild Indigo Duskywing (Erynnis baptisiae) 1

Fiery Skipper (Hylephila phyleus) 2

*Long Tailed Skipper (Urbanus proteus) 1, worn – both tails missing.

Least Skipper (Ancyloxypha numitor) 5+

*Cloudless Sulphur (Phoebis sennae) 1 – (earlier in the day on the beach itself) along the beach and Dune Grass and circled around a couple of times, went over the dunes and then came back and attempted to land on my girlfriend. It was attracted to her purple bikini top and I told her to “just stand still, that flew all the way from Brazil just for you…..” Apparently they like purple and pink things. I’ve seen them at Beach Pea, Purple Asters and at Loosestrife.

Other Sulphurs & Whites – dozens (predominately C. eurytheme and P. rapae)

Southward again tomorrow into coastal Rhode Island. Stay tuned….

M. Arey

agrkov...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 2017, 6:37:50 PM9/24/17
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Matt, not TOO much flying here, but not that bad either.Went to Scissors Crossing yesterday with Mark. Got a couple Wright's Metalmark and one Arizona Powdered Skipper and a few othy things including a few Leda Metalmark. Day before I got some Wandering Skipper. I hope to run into California Fatal Metalmark; they should be out now. Having dental surgery on the 10th to remove  bad root canal and a few mercury amalgams. I will be good s new when this is all done. These things probably helped give me this disease that I got. Alex