Crane Swamp Trail, Westborough 6/26/2016

Barbara Volkle and Steve Moore

Jun 26, 2016, 3:04:02 PM6/26/16
to mas...@googlegroups.com
After mowing the lawn and attending to other things on my to do
checklist, I decided to go over to the Westborough end of the Crane
Swamp Trail after noon to look for Pearly-eyes and/or Browns. They
are not out there at this point. What I did see in 85 degree F sunny
weather were:

Cabbage White - 7
Red Admiral - 1
Little Wood Satyr - 2
Delaware Skipper - 1 (FOY for me)

There are a lot of nectaring flowers out, including a some milkweed
plants (about 60% in blossom). The Delaware Skipper was on one of the
milkweed blossoms
well into the Trail from the smokestack. There are a few swamp
milkweed plants on the left as you drive into the muddy parking area
and just past the gate. They have buds but no blossoms.

At the Northborough end there is a huge orange sign indicating
construction and prohibiting access, but I walked down to the
Broad-winged Skipper swamp as the construction does not start until
you get to the paved road. I saw no butterflies out at this end. I
also walked out the Cedar Hill Trail to the huge milkweed patch which
is in 60% bloom but lacks any butterflies.

Steve Moore
Northborough, Ma
bar...@theworld.com