Appleton Farms!

Howard Hoople

Sep 21, 2016, 8:39:05 PM9/21/16
to Mass Lep
In preparation for Saturday’s field trip (meet near the farm store at 10am on Saturday, Sept 24), I made a brief visit to Appleton Farms today. Temp was in the low 80’s with a light breeze (enough to disrupt picture taking!).

  1   Monarch
25+ Clouded Sulphurs
  5+ Orange Sulphurs
  5+ White Form Sulphurs
  5+ Cabbage Whites
10+ Pearl Crescents
  3   Eastern Tailed-Blues
  5   Silver-bordered Fritillaries (worn but earnest)
  1   White M Hairstreak (https://flic.kr/p/MtbUZk )

The White M was of course the pleasant and big surprise. I didn’t see any Bronze Coppers, but things seem perfect for them there, so I’m hopeful for Saturday. Lots of goldenrod and asters. I talked with one of the people that works there, and he assured me that no mowing would happen between now and the field trip. So nectar sources in our target area won’t be disrupted!

On my way back to the car, I came upon two cows - I took the larger one in the foreground to be the mother, and the other smaller one to be her calf, with a face that only a mother could love: https://flic.kr/p/MkSypX .

Please join us for the field trip on Saturday!

Howard Hoople