Milton, Ma butterflies 4/17/17

LUCY MERRILL-HILLS

Apr 17, 2017, 3:16:49 PM4/17/17
to MassLep

Hi,

Today I walked along Burma Road at Fowl Meadow in Milton, Ma from 1-2PM, and saw the following butterflies:

1 Mourning Cloak

3 Spring Azure  (FOY)

6 Brown Elfin (FOY)

Another person, who has been walking on Burma Road in the Spring for many years, pointed out a Spotted turtle, which he said he had not seen there for decades, a Painted turtle, and a pregnant Banded water snake. I could hear toads trilling in the Neponset River, and saw a Northern Flicker and a Goldfinch.

Sun to clouds, windy, 70 degrees

Lucy Merrill-Hills

Roslindale, Ma

Paula Lieberman

Apr 17, 2017, 4:42:49 PM4/17/17
to MassLep

I saw a very peculiar-looking butterfly yesterday directly in front of the Barnes & Noble in Burlington, MA. It had landed on the extreme left side of the windshield of my car, such that I would only see it was walking on the windshield edge with one wing, held vertically, in my field of vision.  When I got out of the car to try to get a picture (it was too close for the lens on the camera to get from inside) it disappeared. The blue was a medium shade--not light, not dark.

The wing that I saw, was either blue with a white blob, or white with a blue blob, and may 3/4s of a inch inch wide or high.