Monarch movements, please

brian cassie

Sep 29, 2018, 3:23:01 PM9/29/18
to MassLep
Hi,
    Has anyone seen (or perhaps reported and I missed it) any significant southbound Monarch flights in Massachusetts? Hundreds, even one hundred butterflies on the move in one place at one time?
    Could you kindly report to the group and not me individually. Thank you.

   Brian Cassie, Foxboro

Lauren Miller-Donnelly

Sep 30, 2018, 5:56:37 AM9/30/18
to cas...@parkschool.org, MassLep
Hi Brian & the group,

Yesterday there was a good flight on the coast, I host two tagging days (one yesterday one next weekend) and yesterday was an excellent day.  What was interesting to me was that we found only males along the seaside goldenrod habitat right on the coastline (like 20 in a row!), and when we sampled in the upper fields the split was about 50-50.  My theory is that the males do not mind a little danger.  At any rate it supports my theory that "some Monarchs travel together in single sex groups".

Later in the day I collected milkweed for my remaining 4th instar and the 3 plants I took in had at least 4 eggs a piece.  My calculations is that the eggs I collected with migrate a few days before Halloween, and I am wondering if I should even bother. (But I will take care of them) For those who have really really bad looking milkweed I do know of some really good spots where the milkweed is fresh and yummy.

We were seeing a good number of Monarchs at Gooseberry yesterday at dawn I expect more today.

-Lauren Miller-Donnelly
Westport, MA

franl

Oct 4, 2018, 4:57:45 PM10/4/18
to MassLep
I saw 5-6 monarchs flying south in an apple orchard in Stowe MA on Sunday Sept. 30.  Wondering about next weekend.  Looks like Cape May is just seeing a build up in migrants.  They expect 4-6 surges, so we may still see some here: https://capemaymonarchs.blogspot.com/2018/
Fran Ludwig

Bill + Nancy Callahan

Oct 4, 2018, 6:08:44 PM10/4/18
to MassLep
On Saturday Nancy and I saw 100+ Monarchs at the Comm. Gdn in Northampton. On Wednesday aftternoon  I stopped after work and saw only 6.
BILL C-Sprfld