Help Create Butterfly Colony at Broad Meadow Brook

Garry Kessler

Aug 25, 2016, 5:04:05 PM8/25/16
to Mas...@googlegroups.com
Saturday Sept. 17 from 10 - 2

Help establish a Baltimore Checkerspot Butterfly Colony at Broad Meadow Brook

Join volunteers to transplant host plants for a new butterfly colony
at Broad Meadow Brook Audubon Sanctuary in Worcester. We will be
transplanting narrow-leaf plantain from fields in Westborough to the
Sanctuary in Worcester. The activity is from 10-2 on Sept. 10th. Work
gloves, a spade and good foot wear are recommended.

Contact Garry Kessler, gkess...@aol.com or Martha Gach,
mg...@massaudubon.org for meeting location and more information.

Martha Gach

Aug 26, 2016, 10:52:52 AM8/26/16
to mas...@googlegroups.com
A little more info and clarification on this effort, which is a joint venture between Mass Audubon and MBC to establish a Baltimore checkerspot colony at Broad Meadow Brook. Last spring Garry spearheaded the transplanting of plantain (from an organic farmer in Westboro), and the plants did well. So now we are confident enough to start phase 2 to bring in enough plantain to sustain a colony of b'flies.

September 17 is the date - we'll start in Westboro to get the plants, then move to BMB to install them. Please disregard any mention of an earlier date in the email. Thanks, and hope to see a few able bodies on the 17th - it will surely be cooler then!

Martha Gach, Conservation Coordinator
Mass Audubon / Broad Meadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary and Conservation Center
(508) 753-6087 x5022
414 Massasoit Road
Worcester, MA 01604

Find us on Facebook: Mass Audubon Broad Meadow Brook
www.massaudubon.org

Vivian

Aug 27, 2016, 5:00:27 PM8/27/16
to MassLep
Hi Martha and Garry,

I'm curious why you chose to use plantain as opposed to turtlehead?

- Vivian

Martha Gach

Aug 29, 2016, 10:10:31 AM8/29/16
to MassLep, viv...@jeffandvivian.com

Hi Vivian,

We chose plantain because it is easy to maintain and has a history of success with respect to Baltimore checkerspots, per Don Adams' extensive work with his checkerspot colonies. While certainly not as beautiful as turtlehead, it serves the purpose, and can be integrated into existing meadows very easily.

Martha Gach, Conservation Coordinator
Mass Audubon at Broad Meadow Brook

414 Massasoit Road
Worcester, MA 01604
508-753-6087 x5022

"Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts"
www.massaudubon.org

Find us on Facebook:  Mass Audubon Broad Meadow Brook