Butterflies at the Ward Reservation (finally!)

Howard Hoople

May 17, 2018, 10:06:48 AM5/17/18
to Mass Lep
Butterflies have finally shown up at the Ward Reservation this year! In the past, Mourning Cloaks and other early species usually make their first appearance around March 15. The earliest I’ve seen them in other years has been March 3. But this year, the first butterfly I saw at Ward was a Mourning Cloak on May 1 ( https://flic.kr/p/27bj3Kd ) !

Azures have also shown up. Here’s an image of one, caught in flight, which is almost the only way you can get a picture of the upper side of its wings:  https://flic.kr/p/27fosrD . Azures are a complicated group of butterflies. Spring Azures, Summer Azures, Echo Azures (year-round, in Arizona!), and now hints of others. Spirited discussions of proper organization of species within the “Azure complex” abound! I think one I’ve been invited to consider is a “very early late summer azure”. For the time being, I’ve decided to just call them all “azures" until the dust settles.

Occasionally non-butterfly images are worthy of note. Here are Zane and Suzie, who were chasing a red squirrel earlier this week. You can see the red squirrel carefully watching them from the next tree over from where they think it is! https://flic.kr/p/27bj3Jw

Finally, the American Coppers have also now shown up, debuting this year on May 13. Here’s one, nectaring on bluets, on May 15 on the field south of Margaret and John’s house: https://flic.kr/p/27fosmD . I think it was a somewhat overcast time when I took this shot. Usually strong sunlight overwhelms the blue color of the bluets.

Howard

Howard Hoople
Andover MA