A report on the Pipeline Swallowtails seen recently in the Arnold Arboretum

Robert Mayer

Jul 20, 2017, 5:25:45 PM7/20/17
to MassLep
I posted on my first sighting of Battus philenor in the Arboretum a few weeks ago, but here is a link to it and other recent sightings of Pipelines from my blog:

http://www.arbotopia.com/how-rare-is-rare-a-butterfly-tale/

Lucy Merrill-Hills, who posts frequently on MassLep, was instrumental in identifying the most recent sighting, thanks Lucy.

If you are looking to try to see this lep and have questions on where they are,etc. email me.

Bob Mayer
Jamaica Plain
rgm...@comcast.net
www.arbotopia.com

Sharon Stichter

Jul 20, 2017, 7:06:14 PM7/20/17
to rgm...@comcast.net, MassLep
Hi Bob,

There have been quite a number of Pipevine Swallowtail sightings in Mass.
over the last 25 years or so, some as far north as Athol, Gloucester, and
Andover. For an historical discussion and map of 1992-2013 sightings, see
my account at

http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/Pipevine Sw.htm

Best,
Sharon

Sharon Stichter
The Butterflies of Massachusetts
http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net

Sharon Stichter

Jul 20, 2017, 7:21:27 PM7/20/17
to rgm...@comcast.net, MassLep
Oops! Here is the correct link to my webpage on Pipevine Swallowtail in
Massachusetts:

http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/Pipevine%20Sw.htm

Sharon Stichter
Newbury, MA