Oak Hairstreak in Harwich, Monarchs

Mark Faherty

Jul 21, 2016, 1:59:37 PM7/21/16
to MassLep
On Tuesday, for the second year in a row a beat up Oak Hairstreak showed up at my butterfly bush in Harwich:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pajarero/28160091640/in/datetaken/

Bandeds have also been around the yard and environs, including this one on pokeweed, an unheralded nectar source for hairstreaks:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pajarero/28160092310/in/datetaken/

One morning a Banded Hairstreak spend about a half hour on my hummingbird feeder outside my kitchen window until a hummer finally chased him off.

The colony of Edwards' Hairstreaks is less that 100 yards from my house but one has never showed up on my property that I have seen, despite my various enticements of nectar. They stick close to the host plant.

I finally had a few Monarchs yesterday - two on liatris at my mom's house in Plymouth, and one on my butterfly bush in Harwich.

Mark Faherty
East Harwich, MA