State butterfly

Wendy Howes

Jan 30, 2016, 6:56:33 PM1/30/16
to Mas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Masslep friends,

I'd like to weigh in as being in favor of nominating a state butterfly to
the appropriate state entity.

Nancy Callahan brought this up for discussion at the fall meeting, and, as I
recall, everyone present was in support. Nancy indicated that she would be
willing to be part of a committee to move this idea forward. I'm as guilty
as everyone else in failing to get back to Nancy this winter to offer
assistance, but I'm interested!

It's beginning to look like there will be many species suggested. There was
a straw poll at the October meeting, but I have forgotten the results
(except that Sue Cloutier and I both thought that Mourning Cloak was a good
candidate, flying as it does for much of the year).  And now a few species
that weren't mentioned at the meeting have been added to the mix. So, the
first thing a committee would have to do is decide how to manage an election
or build consensus. And would the Girl Scouts and others be involved (why
not? Anything to help people wake up to the natural world.)

My first reaction is that I'm glad there is some enthusiasm out there, and
it's not so important to me what butterfly we nominate, as long as we make a
choice and submit it. But it would be fun to have some candidate debates,
from the butterflies' perspectives, of course, and, with plenty of media
coverage (ha ha)!

Nancy and Brian if you're still willing and able, I'd like to join the
committee you suggested. I think we could manage to communicate within the
committee electronically and report periodically to the group.

Emerging from winter. .  .

Wendy Howes
Hubbardston