Overwintering Eggs question

Greg Dysart

May 5, 2015, 3:45:22 PM5/5/15
to MassLep
Looking at the MA checklist of Butterflies shows that a number of Hairstreaks coming out as adults this June, overwinter as eggs.
Is there any good resource to reveal information as to where the eggs reside in general or species specific for various MA hairstreaks? In tree bark, in buds or in leaf litter? (Hopefully one more good reason not to rake leaves or pile them up too deep.) If they reside in the ground, then the early instars have quite a journey up to tree leafs, before descending back down to pupate out from ground cover. Sorry if my terminology is not scientifically correct.

Greg Dysart
http://dysart.zenfolio.com/
Natick, MA

madeline...@verizon.net

May 5, 2015, 6:08:59 PM5/5/15
to gsdy...@gmail.com, mas...@googlegroups.com
A number of years ago Erik Nielsen and I watched a hairstreak butterfly at the top of Great Blue Hills ovipositing on the bark of a small branch of a tree - which makes sense for overwintering.  I don't remember which species.   I did a quick perusal of the hairstreak section in James Scott "Butterflies of North America" and "host twig" is generally the location for ovipositing especially for the Mass. hairstreaks.

Greg Dysart

May 5, 2015, 9:28:51 PM5/5/15
to madeline...@verizon.net, mas...@googlegroups.com
Logical and efficient of the little critters who then have all the young leaves at their disposal. Thanks Madeline.

Greg Dysart
Natick, MA

Steven Whitebread

May 5, 2015, 10:47:49 PM5/5/15
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

The three European Hairstreaks feeding on blackthorn (Prunus spinosa),
Brown Hairstreak, Black Hairstreak and Sloe Hairstreak, are often
easiest to find by looking for the eggs on twigs in winter (Brown
Hairstreak is the easiest - it is also the most common and often lays
eggs below eye level). Two of the three species overwinter as a fully
developed larva in the egg, whereas the other only develops in the
spring. Blackthorn is generally a low growing bush, often forming
hedges. It is therefore much easier to find eggs compared to an oak
species for instance.

Steven Whitebread
Quincy, MA