Massachusetts State Butterfly

brian cassie

Jan 30, 2016, 10:39:36 AM1/30/16
to MassLep
Hi Massleppers,
I am writing about the issue of a state butterfly. I know the Federated Garden Clubs of Massachusetts tried to help establish one some years ago and I know that there is a push now by some members of the Massachusetts Butterfly Club and, separately, at least one local Girl Scout troop to try to do the same. At the fall meeting of the MBC, I offered to help in this. Now I am wondering why we need a state butterfly. Is having a state butterfly going to provide a sudden impetus for citizens, schools, civic groups, nature organizations to start learning about butterflies?
Usually when I write to MassLep with a question such as this, there are zero responses. If you think there should be a state butterfly, maybe you should speak up about it.
Brian Cassie, Foxboro (Lepidoptera capital of Norfolk County)

fsm...@aol.com

Jan 30, 2016, 12:24:52 PM1/30/16
to bria...@aol.com, mas...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Why not a state butterfly? Many states have 'em and I think they do, in a very subtle way, stimulate interest in learning about butterflies.

But which butterfly? That's the real problem. A  great many people think "Monarch" is synonymous with "butterfly". The Monarch would certainly get a lot of support. But the Monarch isn't uniquely "Massachusetts", not even remotely. In fact, no species is uniquely Massachusetts. We are a small state. The closest would be Early Hairstreak. Every spring, people come from far and wide to see this species on Mt. Greylock. A second choice would be Bog Elfin, except that it has a lot less "sex appeal" because of its mosquito-rich habitat.

Although I doubt it will get much support, my vote would be for Red-Spotted Admiral. It's pretty and flies throughout the state. And I think Massachusetts is uniquely in the "blend zone" where the two subspecies, White Admiral and Red-Spotted Purple, interbreed. I can think of no other locality where the appearance of this species is so diverse. And maybe love of diversity would be a good [and contemporary] subtheme.

Just sayin'.

Cheers,
Frank

bil...@aol.com

Jan 30, 2016, 12:46:59 PM1/30/16
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
This was my reply to the MA Butterfly Club officers when this subject came up a week or so ago, so I'll repeat it here for the group:

"This seems like a good idea!  Maybe we could put it out on Masslep, or somehow come up with a "short list" of candidates to add to a survey link to be voted on?  I would include a couple of species, like Monarch, Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, or other big recognizable things, and/or maybe Early Hairstreak, or other(s) that are more uniquely "our" butterflies.  It's sort of like state birds--lots of states have Cardinal, for example, but that doesn't make it less of an outstanding bird.  Other states have picked birds that are unique--my own home state of Pennsyvania, for example, has the only Ruffed Grouse as a state bird (which I always thought was kind of cool, and a great bird besides).

It seems like the most important thing would be to have a butterfly that catches peoples' attention.  It would be REALLY great to end up with a short list for kids in schools to vote for across the state, if that could be arranged somehow!  Then they'd be learning at least a little bit about each of the choices in order to be able to vote for one they like, so we'd have LOTS of kids thinking about butterflies, even if only briefly."

I don't know whether having a state butterfly would generate significantly more interest in butterflies around the state, but I do think it's a possibility.  Thanks to those folks who have picked up the ball about this, and started running with it, including Brian.

Best,
Bill Benner
West Whately, MA
bil...@aol.com

Jan 30, 2016, 1:16:42 PM1/30/16
to bria...@aol.com, MassLep

Over the past week there has been discussion regarding naming a state butterfly on the Massachusetts Butterfly group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/MassButterflyGroup/). The discussion has mostly pertained to what butterfly should be chosen versus why have one at all. In my opinion, the answer to the latter question is similar to the reason why there should be a state tree, flower, bird, fish, animal, fruit, bug, etc. In the case of butterflies, in my opinion it would provide our schools attention and focus on the study of the ecology and habitat that is necessary for butterflies that live in Massachusetts. As such, it would mostly be an opening talking point for elementary school programs while hopefully sparking interest for each new generation of students. However, it would also be great focus and accomplishment in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Massachusetts Butterfly Club. It could even help expand membership via the potential publicity we would get.

Only 20 states have state butterflies, the most recent of which was New Jersey that officially named the Black Swallowtail as their state butterfly on December 29, 2015, . You can read about it in this article: http://www.northjersey.com/news/unfluttering-support-for-native-jerseyan-accessibility-gives-black-swallowtail-the-edge-as-n-j-s-official-butterfly-1.1481902

Their reason for selecting the Black Swallowtail were given in the article as described in this excerpt:

"The Assembly, in an impressive lockstep vote of 68-0, crowned the species the state’s official butterfly this month, despite plenty of other worthy options, among them the tiger swallowtail, great spangled fritillary and Hessel’s hairstreak.The black swallowtail topped the fluttering heap for a number of reasons. It spends its entire life cycle in the state, it is easy to attract to suburban gardens, and it is ubiquitous, living in all 21 counties, including Bergen and Passaic."

I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of having a state butterfly and am willing to help with the effort. My recommendation is the Great Spangled Fritillary for the same reason New Jersey selected Black Swallowtail. It can be seen state-wide throughout the summer months and will help people identify a butterfly other than a Monarch with which it is often confused. So far no other state has selected it as their state butterfly, so it would be unique to Massachusetts.

Bruce deGraaf
Shrewsbury, MA

bkin...@netscape.net

Jan 30, 2016, 4:41:13 PM1/30/16
to Bil...@aol.com, mas...@googlegroups.com
I nominate the Mourning Cloak.  I anxiously await springtime each year after a hard Massachusetts winter.  It is the butterfly that announces "Spring is here!" to me. More than any other butterfly, the first Mourning Cloak of Spring gladdens my heart.

Bruce W. King

donald adams

Jan 30, 2016, 6:49:27 PM1/30/16
to bria...@aol.com, MassLep
All:

I agree with the points made supporting having a state butterfly but only if we avoid a battle choosing personal favorites!! As a 'knowledgeable butterfly club' we should agree to meaningful attributes for the choice and stick to it. Frank points out, correctly in my view, that 'uniqueness' is not a good attribute to use for Mass. The folks in New Jersey did it right: set up good criterion that would have appeal to the general public, and made a really good choice based on this; i.e. Black swt (perhaps the very best 'back-yard-garden' butterfly). I don't see any detractions in choosing the same or some other butterfly already chosen if this happens to be the best outcome. Simply selecting a different choice just to be different isn't putting our best foot forward.

Don Adams

Jan 30, 2016, 11:34:24 PM1/30/16
to MassLep
Howdy folks,

With respect to “Why do it?” someone in the Facebook counterpart to this e-mail list noted that this year was the 25th anniversary of the MBC, and a drive to nominate a state butterfly could be an extra dimension to celebrating that occasion. And ideas like Bill Benner’s/Marj Rines’ could go a long way toward making the event significant to kids, media, and the state in general beyond just us butterfly geeks. And I bet the MBC could sell a lot more t-shirts and hats, especially in kids’ sizes….

According to Wikipedia, about 30 states have declared an official state butterfly. 12 of the 30 have picked either the Monarch or the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, so I think we should very strongly steer the process away from those two. I think that we *should* pick a species not already claimed by some other state, just because there are so many species out there, far more than there are states to pick them, and part of the purpose of the activity should be to draw attention to biodiversity, and to how butterfly diversity and plant diversity relate (so people don’t think that “butterfly garden” automatically means “milkweed and nothing else”).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_butterflies

While part of me wants to push for one of the northeastern local specialties, like Early Hairstreak or Bog Elfin, I think this is a bad idea. Those species have very restricted ranges and relatively small populations, and some of them live in fragile habitats. I’d be concerned with those species being “loved to death” one way or another.

But there are several other species which live in MA, which no state has yet picked, and which are common and widespread enough that most schools in the state could probably find the species in their local area and maybe even raise them in the classroom. Our neighbors in New York have claimed Red-spotted Purple/White Admiral, Montana has dibs on the Mourning Cloak, but no state has the Eastern Comma yet, nor Great Spangled Fritillary, nor Red Admiral. No state has picked any species of skipper; I could see Silver-spotted as a good candidate. Or, for something a bit more distinctive and unusual, maybe the Harvester?

Fun conversation, at least!

Cheers,

JSR

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
http://www.facebook.com/opihi

Mark Lynch

madeline...@verizon.net

Jan 31, 2016, 12:45:49 PM1/31/16
to mas...@googlegroups.com
I'll check on the status of the Girl Scout project to name a state butterfly. This troop has been working with the town garden club in planting and maintaining butterfly gardens, as well as learning about Monarchs and other butterflies.

Some of you may remember when the Club voted at a BMB potluck dinner meeting for the Tiger Swallowtail to be the Club Butterfly. If my memory serves me right, I think the American Copper was a close second. If we do keep this effort within the Club, we could either vote at a meeting or perhaps find a free simple internet tool to collect votes.   Anyone interested in nominating a butterfly could do a short write-up explaining their choice.

If we got schools involved, typically it is the second grade curriculum that includes butterflies and moths.

Publicizing a State Butterfly would bring attention to the many things that people don't know about butterflies. Considerations such as resident vs. migrant, oldest records, wanderer or local, common or uncommon, likely to visit a garden, flight periods, how does it overwinter - all these things would help people realize that there is more to a butterfly than just a pretty wing.

Madeline Champagne

FYI, here's a list of state appointments - ladybug made it as the state insect.

On 01/30/16, 'brian cassie' via MassLep<mas...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Massleppers,
I am writing about the issue of a state butterfly. I know the Federated Garden Clubs of Massachusetts tried to help establish one some years ago and I know that there is a push now by some members of the Massachusetts Butterfly Club and, separately, at least one local Girl Scout troop to try to do the same. At the fall meeting of the MBC, I offered to help in this. Now I am wondering why we need a state butterfly. Is having a state butterfly going to provide a sudden impetus for citizens, schools, civic groups, nature organizations to start learning about butterflies?
Usually when I write to MassLep with a question such as this, there are zero responses. If you think there should be a state butterfly, maybe you should speak up about it.
Brian Cassie, Foxboro (Lepidoptera capital of Norfolk County)

Nan Wilson

Jan 31, 2016, 3:57:38 PM1/31/16
to madeline...@verizon.net, mas...@googlegroups.com
Ok I'm an over the border MBC member and I apologize for snagging the White Admiral/RSP.

I going to weigh in on the Great Spangled Frit as a good choice because the caterpillars use violets. There is also an interesting dialogue on sparing violets in the yard as well. And it would look great on a t-shirt or hat.

Sent from my iPhone

Carol Duke

Feb 1, 2016, 10:20:53 AM2/1/16
to madeline...@verizon.net, MassLep
Hello Everyone
I am writing from Jamaica and love this idea. I would vote for the American Copper. The fact that it is easily overlooked yet dazzling when discovered makes it a favorite of mine.
Thanks Brian for getting this rolling.
Best Wishes
Carol Duke

Sent from my iPhone