an interesting polinator

Kris

Aug 1, 2018, 6:31:07 PM8/1/18
to mas...@googlegroups.com
  Butterflies still scarce in central Andover, though a Tiger Swallowtail was seen powering through downtown a couple days ago-- didn't stop for refreshment however, despite the lure of brilliant flowerbeds. Cabbage Whites around of course, and I found a perfect Common Sulfur on a pond-side lawn on Phillips Academy campus. Slim pickings in the lep department! but I did discover something new (to me anyway)  among other pollinators- namely bees.
  Honeybees are trickling back, tho hardly numerous, (still none on downtown zinnias, alyssum) and even bumblebees scarce.So I was pleased to find an assortment of bees yesterday on small streetside honey locust- several small natives, some honeybees, a few bumblers-- and something completely unfamiliar, Huge, look like elongated carpenter bees with dark wings.Some consultation resulted in surprising ID- they're East Asian invasives, arrived only about 20 years ago but spreading fast & far :giant resin bee, Megachile sculpturalis- nesting habits like carpenter bee's, wood tunnelers.
   Has anyone else been seeing these? Kinda startling to find something so completely unfamiliar!
--Still hoping for butterflies-I now have some Summersweet (Clethra) blooming and a couple spikes of recovering butterfly bush.