Compton Tortoiseshell, etc. at Fowl Meadow in Canton

Barbara Volkle

Apr 24, 2018, 4:32:21 PM4/24/18
to Mas...@googlegroups.com
I walked the Burma Road path at Fowl Meadow in Canton/Milton from
12:45pm to 2:40pm today and saw:

Cabbage White - 3 (in Canton)

Spring Azure - 1 (in Milton)

Mourning Cloak - 5 (2 in Milton and 3 in Canton)

Compton Tortoiseshell - 1 (in Canton)

It was sunny and 72 degrees. I met Lucy Merrill-Hills who was leaving as
I was starting my walk. She had the first 3 listed above and Eastern
Comma, but no Elfins!

I walked out to the four corners area and started back when I saw an
anglewing on a tree trunk on my left as I was headed back. Assuming it
would be a Comma, I was surprised to see a Compton Tortoiseshell on the
truck just above eye level. It flew down to the road where I could see
the large white spot on the hindwing above and the dark below. It flew
after about 15 seconds on the ground and went by me and into the woods.
I hung around for another 15 minutes but it did not return.

Thanks to Paul Peterson for the instructions as to the town line and the
id of the Rusty Blackbird.

Back to winter tomorrow.

Steve Moore

Northborough, Ma