Attleboro Checkerspots+

Bill + Nancy Callahan

Jun 26, 2016, 10:21:38 PM6/26/16
to MassLep

Hey All,

Nancy and I with daughter Cara took our yearly trip (4th year) to the 2 Mass Audubon sanctuaries in Attleboro for Baltimore Checkerspots. The last couple years we saw many hundreds each year in a meadow at the LaSallette Sanctuary.This year we are about a week later than usual and the site was extremely dry and burnt.We did see 80-90 flying with only a few cats still around.
The rest of our tally for the day is as follows;

 LaSallette Sanctuary,

11 European Skippers
 9 Great Spangled Frits
 2 Eastern Commas
 8 Cabbage Whites
 2 Clouded Sulphurs
 1 Silver Spotted Skipper
 1 American Copper (fresh 2nd brood)

 Oak Knoll Sanctuary

 2 Northern Pearly Eyes (FOY)
 5 Great Spangled Frits
 6 Cabbage Whites
 4 Eastern Commas
 1 E Tiger Swallowtails
 1 Red Admiral

In the wooded areas at both sites the trees were badly defoliated making it seem empty in spots.

 Bill and Nancy Callahan Spfld  6/26/16