Finally a Really Great Butterfly

donald adams

May 5, 2015, 9:11:41 AM5/5/15
to mas...@googlegroups.com

sighting yesterday at ‘Adams Farm’ West Bridgewater at about 2:00 PM while cleaning up in the yard. Unfortunately no positive id so I realize this is a worthless record report. Nonetheless, my ‘black-colored-swallowtail’ was a great thrill and perhaps the earliest I’ve ever had here. So, either a Black or Spicebush but it was a fly-by and I cannot be certain. As Matt pointed out earlier, not much out still in the way of nectar sources that could slow these down a bit. I’ll take one extra step and say it couldn’t have been a male promethea moth ; a strong possibility here but in two to three more weeks.

Hostplants here for Blacks are available, especially wild carrot, but Sassafras buds are still not open and quite tight, and Spicebush is even more behind so not sure how Spicebush swt could manage just now. Anyway also had…

Cabbage White                                6

Spring Azure                                      1

Don Adams