MBC Walk, Sherborn Power Lines, Saturday August 27, 2016

瀏覽次數:12 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Ron Hamburger, Reading, Ma.

未讀,
2016年8月27日 晚上9:54:292016/8/27
收件者:MassLep
Hi...Today from 10 am to noon, 4 enthusiastic  butterfliers and I walked the Sherborn power lines, just off of  Western Ave., under clear skies, with temperatures in the mid-eighties and moderate humidity. From 12:30 to 1:30 pm. we continued on  at Elm Bank Horticultural Center in Wellesley.  Lucy Merrill kindly kept the following list of all that we saw :

Cabbage White : 13
Monarch: 2 ( one fresh)
Orange Sulfur : 2
Wood Nymph : 1
Great Spangled Fritillary : 6
Black Swallowtail : 1
Peck's Skipper : 1
Sulfur sp. : 1
Fritillary sp.: 2 (likely Great Spangled)
Goldenrod, Vervain, Boneset and Joe-Pye Weed were in bloom, but not abundantly present ; there was no Swamp Milkweed (reported in error last Thursday ). Other interesting observations by various participants included : a Big Brown bat,abundant reindeer moss,  a rectangular Pileated Woodpecker excavation (old) ,and many grasshoppers and dragonflies.
   At Elm Bank the well cared-for cultivated flower beds were thriving and we saw :
Eastern Tiger swallowtail : 2 (worn)
Cabbage White : 5
Great Spangled Fritillary : 3
Monarch : 2
Clouded Sulfur :1
Spicebush Swallowtail : 1 (nectaring on phlox)

Also seen: pr. of Red-tailed hawks, 3 hummingbirds, many goldfinches
In spite of the fact that we found no Leonard's Skipper, all participants seemed to have enjoyed themselves...
Ron Hamburger, Reading, Ma.

回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄