Rockport schedule adjustments potentially detrimental

Stefan Wuensch

Aug 29, 2017, 12:27:25 PM8/29/17
to MBTA Developers, MBTA Developers
I just noticed that the API and the MBTA website (which I believe is fed from the API) are showing schedule changes for inbound Rockport trips which are probably designed to be helpful but are most likely causing more issues than they solve.

Example: train 112 is normally scheduled at Salem at 11:42. That's what's listed in the PDF http://old.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Commuter_Rail/newburyport.pdf

However today the API & website were listing Salem as a 11:54 departure. Presumably that's to account for the shuttle bus replacement from Rockport to Gloucester. The issue is that the train is NOT following that schedule as shown in the API and website! It arrived at Salem (and departed) earlier than the time given. This was also the case for Swampscott & Lynn - and probably every other stop as well.

Also of note: the LED sign at Lynn said train 112 was 11 minutes away when in reality it was 5 minutes away. People who were going off the MBTA website or the API scheduled times only would have probably missed this train!! (The predicted times were accurate though, so I don't know why the LED sign was wrong.)

I STRONGLY suggest you revert back these Rockport line scheduled-time adjustments. Having the API and website display incorrect departure times is a terrible idea! I can only assume the change was made to try and make the train look like it's "on time" when that should be left to the _prediction_ data not the _schedule_ data.

-- Stefan

image1.PNGimage2.PNGimage3.PNG

Stefan Wuensch

Aug 30, 2017, 11:22:13 AM8/30/17
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com, MBTA Developers
The API and https://t.mbta.com/schedules/CR-Newburyport/timetable are back to normal, reporting the correct scheduled times for Rockport inbound trains.

Was this all a glitch / bug, or something planned but not announced?

Developer at MBTA

Aug 30, 2017, 12:10:16 PM8/30/17
to MBTA Developers, deve...@mbta.com
Hi Stefan,

The change you originally observed was meant to reflect the midday service changes on the Rockport Line to show an accurate schedule. As you noted, however, the trains are departing Gloucester upon arriving of the connecting shuttle rather than on the adjusted schedule. This was a misunderstanding of the service change on our part, and we have since reverted to the regular schedule.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta