MBTA "Featured App" RFP now live!

Developer at MBTA

Jul 5, 2016, 3:58:51 PM7/5/16
to MBTA Developers
Which app most-effectively gives commuters the real-time MBTA information needed to navigate their way around the Boston region, whether they're using the subway, commuter rail, bus or ferry? The MBTA will answer that question by hosting a contest to select and officially endorse an app for real-time MBTA information. Today we released an RFP (Request For Proposals) for app developers.

MBTA customers take 1.3 million rides daily. Dozens of apps out there provide travelers with a variety of choices for getting information on subway, bus, commuter rail and ferry travel. The proliferation of single-purpose apps means that their are different maps to meet the different needs of our many different riders. However it can also lead to confusion and does not always meet the T's goal for a seamless customer service. A single prominent app can provide a tremendous improvement in customer experience.

The most preferred app will be selected by the MBTA, after considering public comment, and announced in September 2016. The selected app will be featured prominently on the MBTA website for a full year, and be endorsed by the T.

"Our customers are always on the go, and useful apps help connect riders to the information they need to improve their commutes," said MBTA General Manager Brian Shortsleeve. "We're excited to thoroughly examine these innovative mobile tools and encourage travelers to log on and share their opinions of their favorite apps."

A public forum will be held on Aug. 12th at the State Transportation Building, where developers will showcase their apps. This event will feature a group of finalists from existing apps currently being used by the public.

For additional information about how to submit your app for consideration, including our timeline and a link to the RFP, go to: http://www.mbtaapprfp.com/ (MBTA app RFP)

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Andy Cox

Jul 5, 2016, 5:33:04 PM7/5/16
to MBTA Developers
Will there be separate apps endorsed for Android/iOS or just one app total, regardless of any platform exclusivity?

Developer at MBTA

Jul 7, 2016, 5:37:21 PM7/7/16
to MBTA Developers
Hi Andy,

Because it's a formal Request For Proposals, we ask that questions be submitted through the RFP application process. (This ensures that all applicants get consistent information.) See the website, and the RFP itself, for details.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Tom Morris

Jul 7, 2016, 6:18:24 PM7/7/16
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
This from the FAQ is little disturbing:

"We do not wish to change the business model of the application, but to pilot innovative features and data sharing with a single partner, in return for prominent placement on MBTA.com, co-branding opportunities, and press opportunities."

Does that mean that the lone winner will have exclusive access to "innovative features and data sharing?" Why wouldn't the MBTA share new stuff with everyone at the same time?

Tom

Andy Cox

Jul 14, 2016, 10:43:33 AM7/14/16
to MBTA Developers
That actually sounds more like they want the app to share data with them. That, or it's poorly worded, since you can't offer something in return for offering something.

Developer at MBTA

Jul 15, 2016, 10:05:46 AM7/15/16
to MBTA Developers
Andy is correct -- the sentence refers to the app sharing data with the MBTA.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Rob Sides

Jul 22, 2016, 12:15:07 PM7/22/16
to MBTA Developers
Has a time and place for the July 25 informational seminar been posted anywhere?  I don't see that info in on the website or in the RfP.

Thanks,
Rob

Developer at MBTA

Jul 22, 2016, 1:47:36 PM7/22/16
to MBTA Developers
Hi Rob, we'll add it to the website. It is:

July 25, 10:00am

MBTA

10 Park Plaza, Room 2810 (Materials Dept. Large Conference Room)

Boston, MA 02116

Call in Number - 866-919-0702

Participant Code 5503944

Sincerely,

developer@mbta

StefanW

Aug 9, 2016, 1:15:18 PM8/9/16
to MBTA Developers
I didn't see any mention of Friday's presentation here yet, so...

http://mbtaapps.com/

Winner Selection Timeline:

• August 12, 2016: Public presentations from 12:00pm to 2:00pm

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/selection-of-the-best-public-transit-app-for-the-mbta-tickets-27009571355

Selection of the Best Public Transit App for the MBTA

WHEN
Friday, August 12, 2016 from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM (EDT)
WHERE
10 Park Plaza 2nd Floor, Conference Room 1, Boston, MA 02116