Minor change to alert text field

Developer at MBTA

Mar 19, 2018, 6:32:37 PM3/19/18
to MBTA Developers
Dear developers,

We wanted to give a heads-up about a small planned change to our alert data planned for later this week. It concerns the field that summarizes what the alert is about in a sentence or two, such as "Please board all peak outbound Worcester Line trains on the inbound platform at Yawkey weekdays from 3:30 pm until 7:30 pm." This appears as header in the V3 API, header_text in API-V2, and description_text in GTFS-realtime; it's all the same string.

The change is just that we're going to allow slightly longer strings than we have in the past. We never documented a character limit for it, but internally it's been capped at 230 characters, and it won't be any more. We don't plan on using the field in a fundamentally different way, it just means you'll occasionally see values that are longer than you've seen until now.

So very minor but we did want to let you know it was coming.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta