Better commuter rail predictions, bus data availability and more

Developer at MBTA

Aug 24, 2015, 3:45:29 PM8/24/15
to MBTA Developers

Dear developers,

Today we’re happy to announce better commuter rail real-time data, as well as improvements to the bus real-time data available in the MBTA-realtime API and GTFS-realtime, and Green Line data in GTFS-realtime. These changes are currently available in a preview version of the API and GTFS-realtime that you can access right now. They will be moved to production in two weeks. Note that there are no changes to the API itself, only improvements to the data it returns.

Better Commuter Rail Predictions

We are working to improve the accuracy, reliability, latency, and completeness of commuter rail real-time information. To do that we are changing that by changing the way the predictions are made. They will now be made by Transitime, a new open-source real-time transit information platform. So far in testing the Transitime commuter rail predictions are much more accurate – 95% accurate for predictions of vehicle 5 minutes away, compared to 77% for the existing system. Predictions are available for a greater number of trips, sometimes much greater. And Transitime has demonstrated high reliability.

Two issues not addressed yet are vehicle position latency, although there are some improvements on that front, and tracking of trains after midnight. However the change to this new platform does lay some groundwork for addressing both of those in the near future.

Better Bus and Green Line Data Availability

The other two changes concern what kind of data is available from what source. Right now NextBus’s API publishes predictions generated by NextBus, and the predictions in the MBTA-realtime API and GTFS-realtime are made by a different system. As a result you can get two different predictions for the arrival of the same bus at the same stop, depending on where you get them. Instead, the MBTA-realtime API and the GTFS-realtime feed will now contain NextBus’s predictions. NextBus’s predictions will also remain available in their own API. You’ll get the consistent high-quality predictions no matter which source you retrieve them from. As part of this change compass heading will now be added to vehicle position information.

Finally, Green Line predictions have not been available in the GTFS-realtime feed. They will now be included in the feed.

Accessing the Preview

Preview API Calls:

http://23.21.118.89/developer/api/v2.1/predictionsBystop?api_key=wX9NwuHnZU2ToO7GmGR9uw&format=json&stop=South%20Station

http://23.21.118.89/developer/api/v2.1/predictionsByroute?api_key=wX9NwuHnZU2ToO7GmGR9uw&format=json&route=1

http://23.21.118.89/developer/api/v2.1/vehiclesByroute?api_key=wX9NwuHnZU2ToO7GmGR9uw&format=json&route=CR-Providence

http://23.21.118.89/developer/api/v2.1/vehiclesBytrip?api_key=wX9NwuHnZU2ToO7GmGR9uw&format=json&trip=27501627

(The “.1” in the URL is part of our preview setup. The production URLs will not change.)

Preview GTFS-realtime links:

http://23.21.118.89/Gtfsrt/TripUpdates.pb

http://23.21.118.89/Gtfsrt/VehiclePositions.pb

(No changes to Alerts.pb)

Important Note for GTFS-realtime Users

The GTFS-realtime TripUpdates feed becomes much larger, up to roughly 400k (and varying by time of day). This is due partly to the addition of Green Line predictions and a larger number of commuter rail predictions, but also because NextBus calculates predictions for each stop on each trip.

Feedback

Please tell us what you think, either on this forum or by writing to deve...@mbta.com .

Sincerely,

developer@mbta

Andy Cox

Aug 25, 2015, 8:57:17 PM8/25/15
to MBTA Developers
Looking through the VehiclePositions.pb test file. What is the 6 field for, inside the TripDescriptor?

ex.

vehicle {
  trip {
    trip_id: "1660_1"
    start_date: "20150825"
    schedule_relationship: ADDED
    route_id: "Green-E"
    6: 1
  }

Is the '6' meant to be an implementation of the direction_id field?

Guillaume Campagna

Aug 26, 2015, 12:20:19 PM8/26/15
to MBTA Developers
I have the same question as Andy about the new "6" field.

I'm also currently not seeing any Green line data in the GTFS-rt. I'm not sure if it's a temporary glitch.

Guillaume

Developer at MBTA

Aug 26, 2015, 10:28:55 PM8/26/15
to MBTA Developers
You're correct, and thank you for pointing that out, it's an important point and should have been in the announcement.

The test GTFS-realtime feed, slated for production in less than two weeks, includes the direction_id field. This field is "experimental" and not incorporated into the GTFS spec. As a result it may show up labeled "6" instead of direction_id. If you download the current GTFS-realtime .proto file, direction_id is included.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Guillaume Campagna

Aug 27, 2015, 10:35:26 AM8/27/15
to MBTA Developers
Hi,

FYI both the GTFS-rt feeds are empty right now.

Guillaume

Guillaume Campagna

Aug 27, 2015, 10:42:02 AM8/27/15
to MBTA Developers
Sorry for the multiple emails, but the feed are back up but I'm still not seeing the green line predictions.

Guillaume

Developer at MBTA

Aug 31, 2015, 12:33:48 PM8/31/15
to MBTA Developers
Wanted to post an update on this, adding some information, and asking for feedback.

As discussed earlier we're getting ready to move several changes into production next week, currently viewable in test. This includes:
1. Better commuter rail prediction data in MBTA-realtime API and GTFS-realtime, using Transitime.
2. Better bus prediction data in MBTA-realtime API and GTFS-realtime, using NextBus.
3. GTFS-realtime feed gains Green Line predictions. It also becomes much larger

In addition, left out of the original announcement, are the following two additional changes:
4. GTFS-realtime has "direction" field (field #6, an "experimental" field not yet officially adopted into the spec.)
5. predictionsbystop no longer returns a code 404 for an empty result.

We're re-posting some of the links below you can use to access the preview. We are assuming that we can move these changes to production next week without disrupting any applications. Please tell us if we are incorrect. Also please tell us if you observe any problems.

Guillaume, you've raised the issue of intermittent outages of the Green Line data in the GTFS-realtime feed. We're working on this issue. It's connected to the capabilities of our test server. Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Sample links:
When we move the changes to production there will be no change to any production URLs (you won't need to change "/v2/" to "/v2.1/").

Aug 31, 2015, 1:50:53 PM8/31/15
to MBTA Developers
The only thing I noticed while testing my app just now is that some trips are missing a vehicle object in the predictionsbyroute JSON API. Specifically ID CR-Haverhill-CR-Weekday-Haverhill-May15-213. Interestingly enough, this trip doesn't appear in the live predictionsbyroute feed at all so already these changes look like an improvement in data.

Missing vehicle objects certainly aren''t a blocker and I'll just code for it, it's just different than the live feeds as I've never seen it before.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2015, 1:57:43 PM8/31/15
to MBTA Developers
Actually, I just realized that CR-Haverhill-CR-Weekday-Haverhill-May15-213 isn't currently in progress and departs at 4:30 PM this afternoon, which is why it doesn't have a vehicle object in the dev feed. Interesting that it's appearing in the feed at all.

I took a capture of the feed responses - new vs. old

Developer at MBTA

Sep 1, 2015, 10:15:17 AM9/1/15
to MBTA Developers
Yes, these changes bring commuter rail predictions more in line with our subway and bus model. Predictions are available for trips before they start, and before the vehicle that will run them has even reached the position it will start the trip from. If the vehicle hasn't reached the starting position we don't include the vehicle, which would be confusing (we'd be showing inbound trips with outbound vehicles on them, for instance.)

-developer@mbta

Paul Fox

Sep 1, 2015, 10:29:36 AM9/1/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
developer at mbta wrote:
> *5. predictionsbystop no longer returns a code 404 for an empty result. *

thank you. this change seems to be working correctly.

paul
=----------------------
paul fox, p...@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 71.8 degrees)

Developer at MBTA

Sep 4, 2015, 11:28:55 AM9/4/15
to MBTA Developers
We plan to move these changes to production the evening of Tuesday, September 15th.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde

Sep 4, 2015, 2:59:51 PM9/4/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com

I might have missed it since we are not in live production with V2 yet but are Green Line Predictions in the V2 Realtime interface or only in the GTFS version?

Developer at MBTA

Sep 4, 2015, 5:12:18 PM9/4/15
to MBTA Developers
Green Line predictions are available for many stations in the current production MBTA-realtime API, and they will remain in the MBTA-realtime API after the transition on September 15th. No change there.

Green Line predictions are not currently in the production GTFS-realtime feed, but they will be in the GTFS-realtime feed after the transition on September 15th.

-developer@mbta

On Sep 4, 2015 11:28 AM, "Developer at MBTA" <deve...@mbta.com> wrote:
We plan to move these changes to production the evening of Tuesday, September 15th.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde

George Schneeloch

Sep 10, 2015, 10:58:46 PM9/10/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Is there any plan for a 'predictionbystops' API, something which could take more than one stop id at once? It would be great to migrate away from directly consuming the Nextbus feed in my app since it looks like the predictions will now be the same as those provided by MBTA-realtime.

Thanks,
-George

Developer at MBTA

Mark Vantzelfde

Sep 14, 2015, 3:00:35 PM9/14/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
I have been pulling predictionsbyroute for the 4 green line routes and don't see predictions for any stops between Lechmere and Copley. Is there a way to get predictions for that part of the Green Line at this point?

On Monday, September 14, 2015, Developer at MBTA <deve...@mbta.com> wrote:
[...]

GIS/NetMasters, Inc.

Developer at MBTA

Sep 14, 2015, 4:12:22 PM9/14/15
to MBTA Developers
We are moving the prediction changes to production tomorrow night (Tuesday 9/15/15, between 7pm and 10pm.) Once again, these changes include better commuter rail predictions and bus predictions in the MBTA-realtime API and GTFS-realtime, Green Line predictions in GTFS-realtime, and a direction_id field in GTFS-realtime.

Predictions will be unavailable for approximately one hour within the 7pm-10pm window. The MBTA-realtime API as a whole may also be unavailable for a short period of time.

-developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Sep 14, 2015, 4:13:03 PM9/14/15
to MBTA Developers
Predictions for those stations are not being made yet.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 3:00:35 PM UTC-4, MarkV wrote:
[...]

Mark Vantzelfde

Sep 15, 2015, 9:15:52 AM9/15/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Are Commuter Rail predictions offline? All predictionsbyroute for commuter rail route_ids are returning the error response.

Mark Vantzelfde
GIS/NetMasters, Inc.

Developer at MBTA

Sep 15, 2015, 6:00:57 PM9/15/15
to MBTA Developers
Reminder:

Sep 25, 2015, 5:56:05 PM9/25/15
to MBTA Developers
So far in testing the Transitime commuter rail predictions are much more accurate – 95% accurate for predictions of vehicle 5 minutes away, compared to 77% for the existing system

Can you share what the accuracy statistics are for trains > 5 mins away?

Andy Cox

Sep 25, 2015, 6:03:40 PM9/25/15
to MBTA Developers
Quite frankly it'd be interesting to know these statistics for all the other services as well.

Paul Fox

Sep 27, 2015, 4:47:06 PM9/27/15
developer at mbta wrote:
> Wanted to post an update on this, adding some information, and asking for
> feedback.
>
> As discussed earlier we're getting ready to move several changes into
> production next week, currently viewable in test. This includes:
> 1. Better commuter rail prediction data in MBTA-realtime API and
> GTFS-realtime, using Transitime.
> 2. Better bus prediction data in MBTA-realtime API and GTFS-realtime, using
> NextBus.
> 3. GTFS-realtime feed gains Green Line predictions. It also becomes much
> larger
>
> In addition, left out of the original announcement, are the following *two*
> additional changes:
> 4. GTFS-realtime has "direction" field (field #6, an "experimental" field
> not yet officially adopted into the spec.)
> *5. predictionsbystop no longer returns a code 404 for an empty result. *

i've only just tried switching my code back to the production servers.
my assumption was that all of the above changes had been put into
place in production on 9/15. however, number 5 above (404 errors) is
still an issue on the production servers, but not on the beta servers.

is this expected?

paul

=----------------------
paul fox, p...@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 62.2 degrees)

Paul Fox

Oct 5, 2015, 10:27:19 AM10/5/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
i never got an answer to this question -- should the production updates
on 9/15 have eliminated the 404 errors for empty results? that was true
for the beta servers, but as of last week i was still getting 404 from
production.

paul
> --

=----------------------
paul fox, p...@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 52.0 degrees)

bill mckinney

Oct 5, 2015, 10:38:31 AM10/5/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
In addition, all I get is 404s for the Fitchburg CR during the weekends.

Developer at MBTA

Oct 6, 2015, 6:15:15 PM10/6/15
to MBTA Developers
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the lack of reply. There was a problem with our transition to production; if you try it again now predictionsbystop should return an empty result without a 404.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta