New URLs for GTFS and GTFS-realtime files

Developer at MBTA

Mar 20, 2018, 9:42:16 AM3/20/18
to MBTA Developers
Hello all,

We are announcing a change to the location of the GTFS and GTFS-realtime files. As we are consolidating our infrastructure, we have a new domain replacing the developer.mbta.com domain. This affects the GTFS and GTFS-realtime files, which were formerly hosted on developer.mbta.com. The new URLs are as follows:

- The Vehicle Positions file is at https://cdn.mbta.com/realtime/VehiclePositions.pb
- The Trip Updates file is at https://cdn.mbta.com/realtime/TripUpdates.pb
- The Service Alerts file is at https://cdn.mbta.com/realtime/Alerts.pb

The GTFS documentation can be found at https://www.mbta.com/developers/gtfs, and the GTFS-realtime documentation at https://www.mbta.com/developers/gtfs-realtime.

Note that we had previously used cdn.mbtace.com instead of cdn.mbta.com in some locations on the website - both domains are equally valid and will continue to be supported.

Sincerely,

Developer@MBTA

Izzy Vivian Dupree

Mar 20, 2018, 10:25:15 AM3/20/18
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Do you have any interest in supporting Content-Encoding: gzip, or CORS headers to let web apps use your CDN directly? It's understandable that you might not want to pay for the bandwidth for the latter. Currently I use a caching proxy to add gzip and change the HTTP origin, which I am happy to keep doing.

-Izzy

Brian Card

Developer at MBTA

Mar 20, 2018, 1:31:29 PM3/20/18
to MBTA Developers
Izzy,

The CDN does support gzip encoding: if you pass the `Accept-Encoding: gzip` header with your request, the CDN will compress it for you. We'll take a look at including the CORS headers.

Brian,

The new domain is live right now! The old developer.mbta.com URLs will continue to work until July 2018.

Sincerely,

Developer@MBTA

Developer at MBTA

Jun 4, 2018, 4:01:23 PM6/4/18
to MBTA Developers
Hi folks,

We want to remind everyone that the old URLs for the GTFS and GTFS-Realtime files have changed. The old URLs (underneath developer.mbta.com) will be turned off next month: July 2018.

In order to continue receiving this data, please update your URLs:

- The GTFS file is at https://cdn.mbta.com/MBTA_GTFS.zip
- The Vehicle Positions file is at https://cdn.mbta.com/realtime/VehiclePositions.pb
- The Trip Updates file is at https://cdn.mbta.com/realtime/TripUpdates.pb
- The Service Alerts file is at https://cdn.mbta.com/realtime/Alerts.pb

Thanks!
Developer@MBTA

Developer at MBTA

Jul 2, 2018, 11:44:41 AM7/2/18
to MBTA Developers
Hi folks,

The old URLs have been removed.

Thanks!
Developer@MBTA

Eric Hynds

Jul 4, 2018, 12:20:28 PM7/4/18
to MBTA Developers
Does this change affect the Departures.csv file? http://developer.mbta.com/lib/gtrtfs/Departures.csv is now performing a redirect and I can't find the new URL anywhere.

Developer at MBTA

Jul 5, 2018, 10:08:30 AM7/5/18
to MBTA Developers
Hi Eric,

Departures.csv was deprecated along with the other feeds on developer.mbta.com earlier this year.

Boarding status information is available from the API in the "status" field of the prediction.

Track information is currently available in the "track" field of the prediction. Per https://groups.google.com/d/msg/massdotdevelopers/toYQ3siTDF4/7wamtGKhBQAJ this will change on the 23rd, to the "platform_code" field on the stop.

Hope this helps!
Developer@MBTA

Eric Hynds

Jul 5, 2018, 1:28:51 PM7/5/18
to MBTA Developers
Thanks, that's what I ended up doing. I saw that some of the developer.mbta.com links were deprecated but must have missed Departures.csv.