Difference in GTFS-Realtime Bindings between cdn.mbta.com/realtime and developer.mbta.com/lib/GTRTFS/Alerts ?

Patrick Greenwell

Mar 16, 2018, 1:21:44 PM3/16/18
to MBTA Developers
I was trying to utilize the GTFS-Realtime bindings from the MBTA per the developer page, specifically the new feed urls listed here: https://www.mbta.com/developers/gtfs-realtime
however when using the GTFS-realtime bindings I kept getting parsing errors when attempting to decode the feed.  However when using the old feed urls (the ones at developer.mbta.com/lib/GTRTFS/Alerts/*.pb) I was able to parse the feed successfully.

 Are you using differente .proto files for generating the feed at cdn.mtace.com/realtime/*.pb vs developer.mbta.com/lib/GTRTFS/Alerts/*.pb?
Is that .proto binding source available somewhere so I can correctly parse the feed?

Thanks,

Patrick G

Developer at MBTA

Mar 16, 2018, 2:00:12 PM3/16/18
to MBTA Developers
Hello Patrick,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are having some trouble replicating it - can you provide an example of a file that is not parsing for you?

Sincerely,

Developer@MBTA

Patrick Greenwell

Mar 16, 2018, 2:48:31 PM3/16/18
to MBTA Developers
Hi I'm following the example in the nodeJs gtfs-realtiem-bindings package readme. (https://github.com/google/gtfs-realtime-bindings/tree/master/nodejs)

I'll attempt to stream the request/response to a file that I can attach here.

Patrick Greenwell

Mar 16, 2018, 3:23:44 PM3/16/18
to MBTA Developers
Please see the attached both were streamed to the file system in the same way at the same time(both finished writing to the file system within 0.1 seconds of each other)
cdn-VehiclePositions.pb
old-VehiclePostions.pb

Developer at MBTA

Mar 16, 2018, 3:52:08 PM3/16/18
to MBTA Developers
Thanks for this additional information. We are now able to reproduce the issue and are working on identifying the cause. We will let you know when we have an update.

Sincerely,

Developer@MBTA

Developer at MBTA

Mar 16, 2018, 5:07:27 PM3/16/18
to MBTA Developers
We have now identified this issue and deployed a fix. Let us know if you continue to experience an issue.

Sincerely,

Developer@MBTA

Patrick Greenwell

Mar 18, 2018, 12:25:26 PM3/18/18
to MBTA Developers
This appears to be resolved! thanks for the quick turn around on your side!