T Logo usage

Andrew Ferreira

Feb 12, 2017, 11:30:49 AM2/12/17
to MBTA Developers
What are the rules regarding the use of the "T in a circle" logo in apps? I could not find any recent discussion.

This is from 2010, but the link referenced is now invalid:

Hi, all,
MassDOT's "Relationship Principles" document (http://bit.ly/9tHWPN)
states that "Developers should not represent themselves as MassDOT or
another state
entity, and should respect trademarks (MBTA logo, state seal, etc.)."
We are comfortable with apps whose names include "MBTA" (see Raiz Labs
"MBTA Alerts") or "T" (see Wonderland Development's "To a T"). Please
make it clear within the app and the app description that while it
uses information produced by the MBTA, it is not an official MBTA
product. MassDOT and third-party developers share the goal of getting
useful information to riders/users. We want to make it easy for our
riders to find these applications and we recognize that utilizing the
name "MBTA" can be very helpful in those efforts. It's also important
for us that riders understand that we do not endorse any app in
particular.

We recognize that there is some gray area here, and we are happy to
answer specific questions on a case by case basis. Please email us
directly (christoph...@state.ma.us or
joshua...@state.ma.us).

Thanks for your understanding and we look forward to the unveiling of
more great apps!

Best,
Chris from MassDOT

On Feb 27, 5:14 pm, George Schneeloch <noisecape...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, there's an app called To a T. I don't know about "MBTA"
> -George
>

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Rajiv <rajiv.kaus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know if I can include the name "MBTA" in the name of my
> > application? I am pretty sure I cannot use "T", but did not see
> > anything about MBTA on their site.
> > Thanks

K.Adam White

Jun 26, 2017, 1:12:24 PM6/26/17
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I'm resurrecting this thread to try to get a definitive answer on the "T in a circle" logo question posed by Andrew; it would be good to know the latest to ensure our applications are all in compliance.

K. Adam White

Developer at MBTA

Jun 28, 2017, 5:01:10 PM6/28/17
to MBTA Developers
Hi K. Adam, just writing to let you know we're working on a response.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Jun 30, 2017, 5:08:16 PM6/30/17
to MBTA Developers
Hi K. Adam,

Thanks for raising the issue of the use of the MBTA logo in apps. Third parties may use the MBTA logo in their work to identify the MBTA and the services it provides. E.G. putting the "T" logo on a map to indicate an MBTA station. The MBTA logo may not be used or incorporated into a third party's own branding or graphics without explicit written consent of the MBTA.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta