MBTA-realtime: Gentle reminder about the open key

Developer at MBTA

Sep 22, 2014, 4:29:40 PM9/22/14
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
All,

This is just a gentle reminder that if you're trying some things out with MBTA-realtime, you should go ahead and get your own API key. It only takes a minute on http://realtime.mbta.com . The "public development key" is meant for trying a few calls out to see how it works, letting us put sample calls in the documentation that actually work if you click them, etc.

Sincerely,
developer at MBTA

Developer at MBTA

Sep 18, 2015, 10:35:54 AM9/18/15
to MBTA Developers
All,

A gentle reminder that if you're trying some things out with MBTA-realtime, you should go ahead and get your own API key. It only takes a minute on http://realtime.mbta.com . The "open development key" is meant for trying a few calls out to see how it works, letting us put sample calls in the documentation that actually work if you click them, etc. If it's overused it hits its daily limit and becomes unavailable to everyone for the rest of the day.

Sincerely,
developer at MBTA

StefanW

Sep 18, 2015, 11:09:40 AM9/18/15
to MBTA Developers
I was assuming it's appropriate to use the "open development key" for public-facing things like example API v2 links posted in this forum. I did that recently. If you suggest that I / we should register an API key just for posting public links, that's OK by me and I'll happily do that. Which do you prefer?

Thanks!

Developer at MBTA

Sep 18, 2015, 11:35:47 AM9/18/15
to MBTA Developers
Using the public key for posting example links is totally fine.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta