Last 2 digits of service ID

M Scott

Aug 23, 2016, 3:54:14 PM8/23/16
to MBTA Developers
Hello! I am working with the MBTA's GTFS files for the first time for a research project. Do you have information on what the last two digits in the service ID refer to?

Example: BUS22015-hba25011-Weekday-02

I've been working with the 8/3/15 GTFS file. In that, service_ids associated with bus service seem to typically end in 02 while those associated with rapid transit or light rail seem to end in 01. These don't appear to represent the exception_type value, if one applies, though the information at https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/reference/routes-file lists the bus route type code as "3."

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Developer at MBTA

Aug 24, 2016, 5:08:07 PM8/24/16
to MBTA Developers
Officially, the last two digits mean nothing. We don't guarantee that it's safe to conclude anything based on the text of a service_id, and the way we build them can change any time (and has in the past).

Unofficially, an 02 normally indicates an alternate version of a day, such as a no-school version of the weekday schedule (which is the only version that runs in summer) or a holiday version of the Saturday or Sunday schedules.

-developer@mbta