GTFS Updates

Developer at MBTA

Aug 8, 2014, 3:38:04 PM8/8/14
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com

All,

Here is a list of the planned changes to GTFS for the fall schedule period.  We expect to post the new GTFS schedules on or around August 15. It will include the summer schedule (currently in effect) and the fall schedule (which begins August 30.)

 1. In preparation for the opening of Assembly Station on the Orange Line we have added it to GTFS. Note that the exact opening date has not been announced; we added it to the data at the start of the fall schedule due to the way our schedules are built.

2. In the interest of shorter, cleaner and more consistent names, we're changing our station naming conventions for rapid transit stations. Expect the following changes in stop_name:

a.       Remove the word “Station” (with the exception of North Station and South Station) from all stations

b.      Remove the word “Square” from  Central, Harvard, and Porter; add “Square” to Sullivan

c.       Always spell out Ctr (Center), St (Street), Rd (Road), Sq (Square)

d.      “Court House” will become “Courthouse”

3.       The trip_headsign value for route 742 (SL2) OB trips will change from "Boston Marine Industrial Park" to "Design Center"

3.

4.     4.  Fitchburg Line

a.       No weekend service through November 23

                                                               i.      Exception: Full weekend service (North Station to Fitchburg) using the new schedule effective August 4th on the three days (Saturday-Monday) of Labor Day weekend

b.      Full weekend service (North Station to Fitchburg) using the new schedule effective August 4th starting on November 29th

c.       Sunday service on Thanksgiving Day

5.       Boats

a.       Weekend service to Grape Island and George’s Island will end on September 1st

b.      All weekend service will end on October 13th

Sincerely,

developer at MBTA

Developer at MBTA

Aug 18, 2014, 1:21:02 PM8/18/14
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
This is now online with one additional change: the commuter rail station "Natick" changed to "Natick Center." (This applies to both the ID and the name.)

Sincerely,
developer at MBTA

Developer at MBTA

Nov 21, 2014, 1:31:10 PM11/21/14
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com

We just published a mid-fall update to our GTFS file. The new version is Fall 2014 version 3D, 11/20/14. Here's what changed:

1. Added the new Fairmount Line weekend service – the Fairmount Line will have service on Saturdays and Sundays beginning November 29.

2. Removed seasonal boat service to Grape Island and George’s Island

3. Fixed the shapes in shapes.txt for the Middleboro/Lakeville line (9800001 and 9800002)

The Fitchburg Line resumes weekend service on November 29th too (which was already in the file.)

Sincerely,

developer at MBTA

Nicholas Johnson

Nov 26, 2014, 2:35:25 PM11/26/14
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere: Is the Newburyport/Rockport line live on the GTFS feed?

I am having a heck of a time getting anything to work there.

Developer at MBTA

Nov 26, 2014, 2:51:26 PM11/26/14
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the Newburyport / Rockport Line is in GTFS and there is real-time data for it as well. The route_id in GTFS is CR-Newburyport.

Sincerely,
developer at MBTA

Developer at MBTA

Dec 15, 2014, 12:09:16 PM12/15/14
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
We're updating our GTFS feed this afternoon with version Winter 2015 version 1D, 12/12/14. This contains the following changes:

Effective immediately:
1. Moved location of Yawkey commuter rail station

Effective December 27th:
2. Start of new bus & subway schedule period.
3. Schedules now added for bus routes 710, 712, 713, 714, and 716. Follow the links to learn about these bus routes. They are not new to the routes.txt file, but the trips, stops, and stop_times are new. Note that these routes are not directly operated by the MBTA and real-time information is not available about them.
4. Commuter rail schedule changes:
 - Saturday and Sunday service added on Greenbush Line
 - Saturday and Sunday service added on Kingston/Plymouth Line
 - Saturday service added, and some weekday schedule changes, on Needham Line
 - All days rescheduled, and trains renumbered, on Newburyport/Rockport Line (see below)

For your reference there's an index of the old and new Newburyport/Rockport train numbers attached, although the renumbering isn't the only change to the schedule, so even when translating train numbers the stop_times of the new schedule won't exactly match the old.

NewRockNums.csv

Developer at MBTA

Feb 20, 2015, 4:29:49 PM2/20/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
We're updating our GTFS feed this afternoon with version Winter 2015 version 2D, 2/19/15. This schedule is effective immediately. It updates the current commuter rail schedule to reflect the Service Recovery Schedule currently in operation, as detailed at http://www.mbta.com/winter/#rail  .

This update is not related to the GTFS format improvements that are coming in March -- there are no changes to route_id's, no new fields, just changes to commuter rail weekday trips.

We normally advise developers to check for a new GTFS file once a week. If your application uses commuter rail schedules, over the next several weeks we recommend something more specific: checking for a new GTFS file every Friday evening or every weekend, and having it in production by the following Monday morning. This will help keep your users up to date with the newest information.

Thanks for your attention,

Mark Vantzelfde

Feb 20, 2015, 4:54:12 PM2/20/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Changes will be reflected via an update to the content in the feed_info.txt file, correct?

Mark Vantzelfde
GIS/NetMasters, Inc.

Developer at MBTA

Feb 20, 2015, 5:11:38 PM2/20/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
That is correct.

Sincerely,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to massdotdevelopers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Developer at MBTA

Feb 27, 2015, 10:24:52 PM2/27/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Updated GTFS now available, with new commuter rail schedules that go into effect Monday 3/2 and Monday 3/9.

As mentioned last week, if your application uses commuter rail schedules, over the next several weeks we recommend checking for a new GTFS file every Friday evening or every weekend, and having it in production by the following Monday morning. If you're currently doing so we'd like to know and we invite you to send a quick email to deve...@mbta.com informing us. Thanks!

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Mar 13, 2015, 12:55:30 PM3/13/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
A new GTFS schedule is now available, version "Spring 2015 version 3D, 3/12/15". This reflects the commuter rail changes that will be effective Monday, March 16.

As discussed previously this also has the newly-introduced GTFS improvements. For route_id's that are changing the old ones are still scheduled in service through 3/20/15 and the new ones are scheduled in service starting 3/21/15.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Mar 20, 2015, 3:36:24 PM3/20/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
A new GTFS schedule is now available, version "Spring 2015 version 4D, 3/20/15". This reflects the commuter rail changes that will be effective Monday, March 23. It also reflects the commuter rail changes planned for Monday March 30th.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Apr 17, 2015, 5:38:57 PM4/17/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
A new GTFS schedule is now available, version "Spring 2015 version 6D, 4/17/15". This update moves twelve trips from route Green-C to Green-B. Four trips have also had some of the values in the stop_order field changed, but the changes do not actually re-order the stops, the values are just different. There are no other changes.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Apr 23, 2015, 5:26:43 PM4/23/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Another week, another GTFS update: version "Spring 2015 version 7D, 4/24/15" is now available. This update includes adjustments to the Needham Line schedule, effective Monday 4/27/15, which are being made facilitate Amtrak signal system repairs at Forest Hills. There are no other changes.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

May 5, 2015, 6:14:20 PM5/5/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick note about an upcoming GTFS / MBTA_realtime change. When release the summer GTFS update in early- to mid-June the name of one of the commuter rail lines will change:
For route_id CR-Fitchburg the route_name will change from "Fitchburg/South Acton Line" to "Fitchburg Line".

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

May 8, 2015, 3:12:59 PM5/8/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com, deve...@mbta.com
Another GTFS update: feed_version "Spring 2015 version 8D, 5/07/15" now available.

This change incorporates the Haverhill Line shuttling that lasts through June 26. Shuttle buses are replacing a portion of the route (Haverhill - Reading) for a portion of the day (midday).

To minimize disruption to you these trains are still represented in GTFS as if it's one trip traveling from Haverhill to North Station or vice-versa, even though part of the journey is a bus and part is a train; as a result all that's changed are some stop times and, in a couple of instances, stop order.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

May 29, 2015, 5:18:23 PM5/29/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com, deve...@mbta.com
We will post a new GTFS feed on or around June 5th. In addition to containing the MBTA's summer schedule the feed is slated to include the following changes:

1.  In the trip_headsign field for route 411, change spelling of Grenada to Granada.
2.  Standardize stop_sequence values for Red, Orange, Blue, and Green Lines. The same stop will always have the same stop_sequence value for all trips in the same direction.  The order of stops will be as follows:
    i. Red Line SB: Alewife to JFK, Savin Hill to Ashmont, North Quincy to Braintree
   ii. Red Line NB: Braintree to North Quincy, Ashmont to Savin Hill, JFK to Alewife
  iii. Green Line EB: BC to Blandford, Cleveland Circle to St Mary’s, Riverside to Fenway, Heath St to Prudential, Kenmore to Lechmere
   iv. Green Line WB: Lechmere to Kenmore, Blandford to BC, St Mary’s to Cleveland Circle, Fenway to Riverside, Prudential to Heath St
    v. Orange and Blue: as expected
3.  Locations of some CR stops moved.
4.  Change stop_id and stop_name from Worcester / Union Station to Worcester
5.  Change route_long_name from Fitchburg/South Acton Line to Fitchburg Line.  The route_id will remain CR-Fitchburg.
6.  Worcester Line temporary schedule effective June 8th will be added and activated
7.  Boat schedules will be updated to reflect summer changes

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Jun 5, 2015, 4:57:42 PM6/5/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com, deve...@mbta.com
The new commuter rail feed with the changes described below is now available on mbta.com

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Jun 18, 2015, 5:43:23 PM6/18/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com, deve...@mbta.com

A new GTFS feed is live on mbta.com.  The changes in this file set are as follows:

1.       Updated the Fairmount and Franklin Line weekday schedule to use a new schedule effective June 29th.  (The Franklin Line schedule was updated because one trip that changed on the Fairmount Line originates on the Franklin Line.)

2.       Updated the following commuter rail stop locations to improve pathfinding to them on a street network:

a.       Anderson/ Woburn

b.      Braintree

c.       Dedham Corp Center

d.      East Weymouth

e.      Framingham

f.        Manchester

g.       Nantasket Junction

h.      North Station

i.         Quincy Center

j.        Ruggles

k.       South Station

l.         Wedgemere

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Aug 3, 2015, 3:06:45 PM8/3/15
to MBTA Developers, deve...@mbta.com
New GTFS feed now live, correct Worcester Line schedule problem.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta
Message has been deleted

Developer at MBTA

Aug 21, 2015, 4:35:17 PM8/21/15
to MBTA Developers, deve...@mbta.com
A new GTFS feed is now available, version "Fall 2015 version 1D, 8/21/15". This schedule adds the MBTA's fall calendar and is valid from now through December 25th 2015. Other changes include:

1. Update to the Haverhill Line temporary schedule that is effective this Monday. The new Haverhill Line schedule includes some "composite trips" in the midday, trips that are represented in GTFS and on the schedule card as one trip but are actually a combination of train and shuttle bus. (See the "B-note" on the schedule card.) There will be no real-time information available for the stop_times of these trips that are actually being served by a shuttle bus.
2. Changed trip_headsign for Worcester-bound trips on the Framingham/Worcester Line to "Worcester".

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Nov 27, 2015, 2:33:49 PM11/27/15
to MBTA Developers, deve...@mbta.com
A new GTFS feed is now available, version "Fall 2015 version 2D, 11/27/15", with minor commuter rail changes. There is a minor Framingham/Worcester Line schedule change that takes effect December 15th. Note also that Fitchburg Line weekend service resumes this weekend.

Happy thanksgiving,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde

Nov 30, 2015, 11:36:35 AM11/30/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Has the feed_info.txt file been updated?

Developer at MBTA

Nov 30, 2015, 12:05:34 PM11/30/15
to MBTA Developers

Yes. Feed version "Fall 2015 version 2D, 11/27/15".

We'll actually be publishing one more version in the next few days, which will contain a Fitchburg Line weekday change that takes effect December 14th. Also, a correction to the previous description: December 14th is the day the Framingham/Worcester Line change takes effect.

Sincerely,

developer@mbta

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 11:36:35 AM UTC-5, MarkV wrote:
Has the feed_info.txt file been updated?
On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Developer at MBTA <deve...@mbta.com> wrote:
A new GTFS feed is now available, version "Fall 2015 version 2D, 11/27/15", with minor commuter rail changes. There is a minor Framingham/Worcester Line schedule change that takes effect December 14th. Note also that Fitchburg Line weekend service resumes this weekend.

Happy thanksgiving,
developer@mbta

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 4:35:17 PM UTC-4, Developer at MBTA wrote:
A new GTFS feed is now available, version "Fall 2015 version 1D, 8/21/15". This schedule adds the MBTA's fall calendar and is valid from now through December 25th 2015. Other changes include:

1. Update to the Haverhill Line temporary schedule that is effective this Monday. The new Haverhill Line schedule includes some "composite trips" in the midday, trips that are represented in GTFS and on the schedule card as one trip but are actually a combination of train and shuttle bus. (See the "B-note" on the schedule card.) There will be no real-time information available for the stop_times of these trips that are actually being served by a shuttle bus.
2. Changed trip_headsign for Worcester-bound trips on the Framingham/Worcester Line to "Worcester".

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde

Developer at MBTA

Dec 1, 2015, 3:14:21 PM12/1/15
to MBTA Developers
We have now published the below-referenced update: "Fall 2015 version 3D, 12/1/15". It contains both the Fitchburg Line change and the Framingham/Worcester Line change that go into effect December 14th.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde

da...@thetransitapp.com

Dec 3, 2015, 9:29:41 AM12/3/15
to MBTA Developers
I'm finding some odd data for trip: CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447
The sequence is missing 1-4 and 10-12. And the departure times at each stop go backwards in time.

From the stop_times.txt (starting at line 4560522):
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Littleton / Rte 495,07:33:00,07:33:00,5,1,
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,South Acton,07:25:00,07:25:00,6,,
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,West Concord,07:17:00,07:17:00,7,3,3
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Concord,07:11:00,07:11:00,8,3,3
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Lincoln,07:05:00,07:05:00,9,3,3
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Brandeis/ Roberts,06:57:00,06:57:00,13,3,3
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Waltham,06:53:00,06:53:00,14,,
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Waverley,06:47:00,06:47:00,15,3,3
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Belmont,06:45:00,06:45:00,16,3,3
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,Porter Square,06:40:00,06:40:00,17,,
CR-Fitchburg-CR-Weekday-Fitchburg-Dec15-447,North Station,06:30:00,06:30:00,18,,1

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 3:14:21 PM UTC-5, Developer at MBTA wrote:
[...]

Developer at MBTA

Dec 3, 2015, 10:35:45 AM12/3/15
to MBTA Developers
You're right. That is a bug in the feed. We will get a corrected feed out ASAP.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Dec 3, 2015, 11:05:34 AM12/3/15
to MBTA Developers
Mark,

At your request, we're going to begin the practice of updating feed_start_date with this next release. It won't necessarily be the date of release, but it will be a more recent date than the previously active file (and of course it will never be a future date.)

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde
GIS/NetMasters, Inc.

Mark Vantzelfde

Dec 3, 2015, 11:15:09 AM12/3/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Perfect. A much better approach. Thank you.

Mark Vantzelfde
GIS/NetMasters, Inc.

Mark Vantzelfde
GIS/NetMasters, Inc.

Developer at MBTA

Dec 3, 2015, 4:04:19 PM12/3/15
to MBTA Developers
New version is now live: "Fall 2015 version 4D, 12/3/15". Contains a fix to version 3D.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde

Dec 3, 2015, 4:18:48 PM12/3/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
And it has a feed_start_date of

"20151203"

Terrific!

Thanks.

Developer at MBTA

Dec 9, 2015, 5:38:29 PM12/9/15
to MBTA Developers
We'll have a new GTFS file available in the next few days. This feed will include the MBTA's winter schedule, and be valid through March 18th, 2016.

There is one notable change: in trips.txt we will be changing many of the values of the trip_headsign field for bus trips. These include some corrections but also many simplifications, which reflect changes to the text that actually appears on buses which are planned for the near future. For example, route 1's destinations will now just read "Harvard" or "Dudley" instead of "Harvard via Mass Ave" or "Dudley via Mass Ave."

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Jeff Lopes

Dec 9, 2015, 6:39:45 PM12/9/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Will the head signs returned by the realtime API for predictions change at the same change? In general I'm curious how those two things are kept in sync.

Developer at MBTA

Dec 10, 2015, 10:07:01 AM12/10/15
to MBTA Developers
The headsign text strings in the MBTA-realtime API will change within 3 days of the published GTFS change.
The headsign text strings in the NextBus API will change on December 26th.

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

On Dec 9, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Developer at MBTA <deve...@mbta.com> wrote:

We'll have a new GTFS file available in the next few days. This feed will include the MBTA's winter schedule, and be valid through March 18th, 2016.

There is one notable change: in trips.txt we will be changing many of the values of the trip_headsign field for bus trips. These include some corrections but also many simplifications, which reflect changes to the text that actually appears on buses which are planned for the near future. For example, route 1's destinations will now just read "Harvard" or "Dudley" instead of "Harvard via Mass Ave" or "Dudley via Mass Ave."

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Developer at MBTA

Dec 11, 2015, 6:44:43 PM12/11/15
to MBTA Developers
All,

A new GTFS feed is now available: "Winter 2016 version 1D, 12-11-15"

Changes include:
  - trips.headsign_text made more succinct for many bus trips.
  - Route 277 no longer in service
  - New stop: The E branch terminus, stop_id 70260 ("Heath Street"), is now two stops:
     - 70259,"Heath Street - Outbound"
     - 70260,"Heath Street - Inbound"
  - C-branch stop Coolidge Corner (stop_id "place-cool") location adjusted

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Mark Vantzelfde

Dec 12, 2015, 7:54:29 AM12/12/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the fixes to the stops on the Green Line.

Developer at MBTA

Dec 23, 2015, 5:14:21 PM12/23/15
to MBTA Developers
We've released a new GTFS file to address a couple of commuter rail discrepancies, as well as tweak some of the new bus headsign_texts. The new version is "Winter 2016 version 4D, 12-23-15."

Sincerely,
developer@mbta

Michael Smith

Dec 23, 2015, 6:13:53 PM12/23/15
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
I'm a bit confused. On 12/22/2015 the GTFS switched the trip IDs for the Haverhill line to go from "CR-Haverhill-CR-Weekday-Haverhill-May15-XXX" to "CR-Haverhill-CR-Weekday-Haverhill-May14-XXX". The release today also uses "May14" instead of "May15". Was it indeed intentional to switch back to "May14"?

Mike