Stations: entrances, platforms, wheelchair transfers

Developer at MBTA

May 15, 2017, 5:31:49 PM5/15/17
to MBTA Developers
We're planning to add fields to our stops.txt file to better manage platforms and station entrances, and our transfers.txt file to add accessibility information about transfers.

For stops.txt we are considering adding "platform_code" and "platform_name." platform_code is already in use by some agencies and consists of a number or letter. In most of our subway system the platforms are designated with a short description like "Inbound" or "Ashmont/Braintree," which does not meet the criteria for a code, so we are also planning to add "platform_name" for those cases.

We are considering adding station entrances (location_type=2) to stops.txt as well.

For transfers we are considering adding "wheelchair_transfer" to indicate whether a transfer is wheelchair-accessible, and "wheelchair_transfer_time" to indicate how much time should be allowed if it follows a different path. Transfers.txt would include travel time from platform to platform, between entrances and platforms, and between platforms and selected nearby bus stops. (This provides a way of establishing a relationship of a bus stop to a station without it being part of the parent.)

Our proposal and a link to a sample can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17M0mso9NTQ2da7zsHnDxpUlrs4jMbFQE0fhOw5Q1ufY/edit?usp=sharing
(the "facilities.txt" portion of the document is a larger change and is described in its own post.)

Do people have feedback?

Thanks,
developer@mbta