Updated theory paper?

axh...@ualr.edu

May 23, 2017, 11:32:08 PM5/23/17
to marpa parser
I intend to write a Rust implementation of Marpa. I've seen a few references to an updated algorithm, as in

I've recently generalized my method and should write it up. ~Jeffrey, Several eons ago (or 2015)

I've only been able to find the 2013 paper. Is there a new one? Or even just notes for one? Or mildly legible scribbles on a napkin? I'd like to not have to excavate libmarpa to see what changed.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Kegler

May 23, 2017, 11:40:31 PM5/23/17
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
There's no updated theory paper.  Sorry.

axh...@ualr.edu

Jeffrey Kegler

May 24, 2017, 5:38:37 AM5/24/17
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
Could you send me a link to the "comments in the web and text files" that you're referring to?  I'm pretty sure I've described every change relevant to the paper somewhere, but don't know what you're looking at.

The "generalized method for pre-processing" that you quote me talking about, is just on the drawing board -- it is not fully worked out, and not implemented in Libmarpa, Marpa::R2 or the Marpa::R3 I have under development.

axh...@ualr.edu

May 24, 2017, 5:30:42 PM5/24/17
to marpa parser
The /work/dev/{marpa.w, api.texi} files in the GitHub repo.

What about the work described in the engine rewrite post? Specifically the part about not using LR(0) states from AH.

Jeffrey Kegler

May 24, 2017, 8:19:41 PM5/24/17
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
The only change in Libmarpa relevant to the theory paper, which is very high level, is that described in the "engine rewrite post" that you link to.  At this point, I have trouble remembering where everything is, so I'm glad you found it.

The /work/dev/{marpa.w, api.texi} in the Github repo contains the very latest work.  My policy is to update comments, and whenever I make a change I look for those places likely to be affected & fix them.  Also, whenever in re-reading I find an error I fix it, and many in the Marpa community report errors to me, which also get fixed.  To get everything, it'd be necessary to reread the entire documentation carefully from beginning to end and that I have not done in some time, so at this point errors have probably accumulated.

One minor note, I often use the phrase "as of this writing".  When I use it in an doc intended to be permanent, it's a warning to the reader that the situation might change without the doc catching up.

Hope this helps.  If you have questions as you go along, feel free to ask here, or on the IRC channel.

axh...@ualr.edu

May 24, 2017, 10:55:46 PM5/24/17
to marpa parser
Will do. Thanks for the guidance.