Marpa::R2 3.0 is on CPAN

Jeffrey Kegler

May 10, 2015, 7:25:50 PM5/10/15
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
Marpa::R2 3.0 is on CPAN.  Testing so far looks good, but your testing is always appreciated.

The value added in this release is a bug fix.  In previous versions, if you attempted to supply a blessed per-parse argument as the argument of the $recce->value() method, you didn't always get what you asked for -- if the package had a new() method, that method was called and you got the result.  Very counter-intuitive, and not consistent with the documentation.  Not that the documentation was exactly a model of clarity. :-)

Anyway, now if you specify the per-parse argument as $ppo by saying $recce->value($ppo), then $ppo becomes the per-parse argument and the SLIF leaves it alone, as you'd hope it would.  And the documentation has been changed to make it clearer that this was the intended behavior.

Applications may have relied on the buggy behavior, so I am treating this as a backward incompatibility.  That is the reason for the new major version number, 3.0.

This change in major version number is the first for Marpa::R2.  As I've moved Marpa::R2 to gamma, and beyond that to semi-frozen, I'd always, up to now, been able to maintain the level of backward-compatibility desired.  Now that Kollos is underway, I will be supporting Marpa::R2 more with its current user base in mind.  That means that, when in doubt, I will err in favor of issuing a new major version number.